Gallup Poll shows largest Republican lead ever

With five months to go before the general election, a new poll finds that Republicans have opened their widest lead yet when it comes to which party voters prefer this fall. Gallup's generic congressional ballot finds that the number of voters who say they will vote GOP has jumped to 49 percent, compared with 43 percent for Democrats. That's not only the biggest lead Gallup has recorded for the GOP this election cycle, it's the largest lead Republicans have ever had in the poll, which Gallup has run since 1950.

Why are Republicans surging?

According to Gallup, the GOP gained 3 percentage points in the poll over the last week, while Dems fell 4 points. All of this happened as President Obama's approval rating took a hit, especially with his handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Why are Republicans surging?

***

Because the Democrats and Independents who were responsible for voting Obama into office are FINALLY comprehending what Obama meant when he said he would "fundamentally changing America"--and as it turns out, it's not a good thing!!!

Next time, ask the candidate for a freaking definition, m'kay?!?! LOL

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I think that most will come through and say they don't believe polls.....except those that say no one likes Bush ;) He HAS screwed up in how he has dealt with this oil spill and he keeps SHOVING through HIS agenda. People wanted CHANGE. HE promised a different kind of Washington and now the best his supporters can come up with is "bush did it". That's fantastic...lets just hold ALL of them up to our lowest standards.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I am sure there are many reputable and capable Republicans out there. That's fine.
    It would be a shame,though, if a few Radical righties like Michelle Bachman from Minnesota and all her cronies push idiots into office and turn our country into a Conservative, Pro-Life, pro white Christian , anti-diversity nation. I couldn't handle living like people did in the 1950's with the anti-Communist Witch Hunts and the Puritanical, self-righteous,ruthless demagogues. Yes, in the USA it was a bad thing .....Joe McCarthy anyone? Sick and destructive. I was in my teens then, I watched the Army-McCarthy hearings and it was disgusting. I bet none of you were even alive then and nobody will want to read about it. Republicans and the FBI and the OSS and the offshoot ,the CIA were on a roll and it was not good. Read up on it before you fall in love with the radical right Repubs out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I love how you said that momof030404, I am so sick of them saying well so and so did it, or thats just how politics work, I dont care, and I am sick of people using tragedies to push their agenda Bush with 9/11 and Obama with this oil spill. I am not surprised in the least. I used to be a democrat (or I thought I was) I am not a republican, but I will definitly be voting for the republicans in my state, the democrats that are our representatives have been terrible. Its the same reason the republicans lost their majority when Bush was in office. The majority of people are sick of all the governments crap, and just hope that the other side will bring things back to what it should be, unfortunatly that will probably not happen, but we definitly without a doubt need more balance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Anon 10:50 I agree with you, but I dont want the radicals from either side to have control, and right now we have some pretty radical liberals in office. So some balance would definitly be welcome. The extreems on both sides are just as dangerous. Thats why we need to start limiting the big government that is taking over, because we really dont want either of those sides to have too much power. And the balance of power is definitly shifting right now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I do NOT like Libs, NOR do I care for the politics of former hippies.

AT ALL!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 11:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• the politics of former hippies is exactly what is being promoted on Capitol Hill. A lot of the pres' advisers ARE former hippies, as well as most of his mentors from before he was elected to the office which he was grossly unprepared for.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Interestingly enough, in my overall conservative area, all the GOP congressional incumbents are being challenged by TEA Party candidates.

The ONLY incumbent who is NOT being challenged? The lone Democrat in the area.

It feels like a conservative feeding frenzy in some respects....and conservatives really should think about not being their own worst enemies.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010