Preschooler mattress

DD is getting a big bed for her birthday. I need to get a mattress for it but have no idea whether to spend the couple hundrend on a memory foam or just get a cheaper one. What are yours sleeping on?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• Unless you get a mattress cover for any night time accidents, I wouldn't spend too much right now. On the other hand, If you get a new bedroom set and you plan on her keeping it for a long time, then yeah spend the money for a good one. If this is only for a short period of time, don't waste your money.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• We switched our kids straight to twin/full beds from their cribs. The older 2 we bought new beds for (for the youngest our parents gave us the full size bed from their guest bedroom that had hardly ever been slept on), we didn't buy a "cheap" bed but we didn't buy high end either. We bought a middle of the line mattress that I would feel comfortable sleeping on and similar to the one I had when I was growing up. We did buy waterproof mattress covers for when they were little!

Answer by missanc at 10:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Mine have basic inexpensive mattresses. They all cost under $100. They have waterproof covers on them. There's no way I'd spend any more on a mattress for a kid unless they had health issues which made a cheap mattress totally not doable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• anon:58 here again - I can sleep on the kids' beds better than on my own (yes, their cheap mattresses are more comfortable than my slightly more expensive one). You're not going to get a memory foam for a couple hundred bucks either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I just got memory foam mattresses for my boys from Bob's. They are the Bob's brand and not that expensive. They are so comfortable. I also got mattress covers. For my daughter we got the cheapest mattress we could find. I just changed hers 5 years later. The cheap one lasted a while and was fine for her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2010