• In the Spotlight:

What is the best advice you can give about pregnancy/labor/delievery?

For a first time mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The best thing I found when I was pregnant was rubber bands! LOL I hated buying maternity clothes, so I would use rubber bands on all my pants.

Really, though, on pregnancy, try to eat well so you do not gain too much weight. I know too many women who feel like pregnancy is their excuse to eat whenever and whatever they want. As long as it is ok with your doctor, keep a steady regimine of walking daily. You'll feel so much better during our pregnancy if you do.

Labor: Go grief, I guess definitely take a birthing class.

Delivery: It will hurt, but it is totally worth it!! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Relax, enjoy, and don't rush things.. Oh and don't worry about every little thing. It will drive you crazy. Read "what to expect when your expecting" it helps to answer basic pregnancy questions.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• For a first mom, it would be taking lamaze classes that will help you in delivering and coping with pain. I would also tell you to enjoy those nine months, there is no feeling like it in the world having a life inside of you is the ultimate high! Also exercise is a must to have a more smooth delivery.

Answer by older at 10:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Take childbirth classes. Go to La Leche League meetings. Have a midwife and doula. Have a home or birth center birth. Don't let anyone talk you into induction unless you or the baby's life is in danger. No epidural. No monitors or IVs to tie you down. Breastfeed withing an hour after birth. No bottles or pacifiers. Call a La Leche League Leader or lactation consultant if you have any breastfeeding problems (before you complicate matters more).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Get the epidural. You won't win a contest for being "strong". I'm sorry, but I'm all about being as comfortable as possible. Labor hurts.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• What to Expect When You Are Expecting has a lot of bad info and there are many better books. For books to read go to web sites like the Lamaze site and look at the books they recommend. Go to a bookstore or library and look at all the books. Any book by William and Martha Sears or Sheila Kitzinger is good. They have authored many books about pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and parenting.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Relax and enjoy this time, it is so special. No one will treat you as special again, even subsequent pregnancies, no one cares, lol. Enjoy it and take the time to rest and pamper yourself. Go out to adults only restaurants, see movies, etc....because once baby arrives it will be a long time before you do that again =)

Regarding labor and delivery, don't listen to all the horror stories, for whatever reason women seem to LOVE to tell pregnant women how HORRIBLE their labor was...its not always like that. For instance, I would gladly go through labor again over a trip to the dentist...seriously....and yes, I did get an epidural =)

Have fun and enjoy!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• PREGNANCY: relax and remember, you are not an invalid. LOL Some people think they can't do anything at all while pregnant.

LABOR: Baby will come when it is ready. Your due date is only an estimate. Up to 42 weeks is still considered term and not overdue. You can go over that. The more interventions and "help" you get, the more you chances of "needing" a c-section go up. I suggest you watch "The Business Of Being Born". Natural unmedicated childbirth is doable and awesome. I did it, you can too.

DELIVERY: Try to hold and nurse your baby immediately. Ask them to not cut the cord until it stops pulsing. Hold and love your baby. Don't rush any step from pregnancy to baby milestones.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Read pregnancy books, there is a lot in those that will be helpful. Don't lock yourself into some things like no epidural or absolutely you will be breastfeeding, cloth diapering or whatever. Those things are fine but you're not a bad mom or weak woman if you decide on some pain relief, that breastfeeding is not for you or that you want to use disposable diapers. The bad thing is that many women make motherhood a contest and what should really be important is to remember we all do what we feel is best without trying to make other moms feel bad for deciding to do something different.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Pregnancy: enjoy your sleep, you will NEVER sleep well again! Relax, light exercise, don't eat crap.

Labor: tell your husband to keep his mouth shut. Mine saw a contraction on the monitor and said "that wasn't as bad as the others". I almost killed him. Patience is key.

Delivery: remember it may and probably won't go as you imagined and that you can only contol so much! I had a csection after 36 hrs of labor, and only dialated to 2.5 cm. But just realize, even if something changes, you still have a wonderful miracle :) and all that matters is that everyone is healthy and happy!
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:17 AM on Jun. 3, 2010