Do you agree or disagree with this quote?

"The man who can face vilification and disgrace, who can stand up against the popular current, even against his friends and his country when he know he is right, who can defy those in authority over him, who can take punishment and prison and remain steadfast—that is a man of courage. The fellow whom you taunt as a 'slacker' because he refuses to turn murderer—he needs courage. But do you need much courage just to obey orders, to do as you are told and to fall in line with thousands of others to the tune of general approval and the Star Spangled Banner?"
—Alexander Berkman

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "Alexander Berkman (November 21, 1870 – June 28, 1936) was an anarchist known for his political activism and writing. He was a leading member of the anarchist movement in the early 20th century.

In 1892, Berkman attempted to assassinate Henry Clay Frick as an act of propaganda of the deed. Though Frick survived the attempt on his life, Berkman served 14 years in prison.

In 1917, Berkman and Goldman were sentenced to two years in jail for conspiracy against the newly instated draft. After their release from prison, they were arrested—along with hundreds of others—and deported to Russia. Initially supportive of that country's Bolshevik revolution..."

Holy crap, this guy was an Anarchist and attempted murderer! Not the sort of person I would want to follow.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:16 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Just curious as to the context of this quote...
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree!

Answer by older at 11:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• No, I think it still takes courage to take orders. Im assuming this is pertaining to the military. Please correct me if Im wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• HOLY CHRAP...This man is an anarchist who tried to KILL another person, who was unarmed,  in cold blood JUST because they didnt believe what HE did. Can we say HYPOCRITE. And THEN the idiot commited SUICIDE. Yes...THIS is a person we should listen too....

eye rolling

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• While I agree with parts of the first sentence - I strongly disagree with the quote as a whole. It's an anti-military opinion, which is something I will never fall in line with.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Well, I was with it until the last line, when the SSB was mentioned. Sorry, if it goes against the flag, I generally don't agree with it. Then upon reading the answers, finding out WHO the man was, and what he stood for, I can't agree with it...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OP--What's the matter? Couldn't you find any obscure Che Guevara quotes? LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• yes! i am trying to start an anarchist mom group on C.M. if you or anyone is interested then P.M. me :) ps i am copying this :)
    ladypyro

Answer by ladypyro at 4:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2010