my DD's are only 5 and 2.5 so I have a while yet, but I was wanting to know when you start taking them to get pap tests? Cervical cancer runs in mine and DH side of the family. My grandma said they don't need to start going until they are 18 or so I thought it was when they start their peroid which is it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• Cervical cancer isnt ALWAYS and ONLY caused by HPV... just fyi. I think you are smart to worry, but I dont think they will need them til much late.r
    Anonymous

• when they become sexually active, otherwise 18
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• by age 21...
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• You're worrying about pap tests now? Ok
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ped/content/ped_2_3x_acs_cancer_detection_guidelines_36.asp
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 11:26 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• when they become sexualy active or at 18, whichever comes first. but even if they have an abnormal pap before they are 21 most doctors wont even look into it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

OP HERE...Like I said I know I have a while to do it, but I also said cervical cancer runs in both sides of the family. It runs in my moms side, my real dads side and DH's side. My grandma and I were talknig the other day and she told me when they get older that I better make sure they go. I told her I was going to when they started their period she said I didn't have to until 18 so it made me get to thinking of what ages they should go. It is never to early to prepair they will be that age before you know it. I was sexually active at 17, but I didn't get my first pap until I got married and only cause I was getting on birth control,.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• They don't need paps until they become sexually active. Taking them to an Ob/Gyn when they start their periods could be scary and traumatic (they will most likely be around 11 or 12 yrs old). Cervical cancer is caused by the sexually transmitted HPV. Get them vaccinated against HPV at 11 yrs old and be sure to teach them about safe sex practices.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

I didn't start my period until a montha fter I turned 14. And the sexually transmitted HPV that doesn't show up right away? Cause my mom is 46 she got cervical cancer last summer and her and my dad doesn't have sex anymore since my brother was like 10 years old or 12 and he is 21 now. How I know is cause my dad is an alcoholic he isn't abusive or anything like that just my mom sleeps on the couch has since I can remember and my dad sleeps in his room in the basement.
    Anonymous