I just don't get it!

I don't understand how we can have historical text talking about Horus and Krishna...and so on yet they are myths? Why is the story of Jesus any different? I am not bashing I am just trying to understand how some can say that the similarities are not there yet they are plane for everyone to see and most if not all besides the bible were written far before??? How can we say they are myths and not call the stories of the bible a myth?

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, some people believe it to be historical fact. I don't think you're gonna win this one LOL. I, myself, abide by the principles of the bible love your neighbor, etc. HOwever, I don't believe it word-for-word as it was written many years after the "events" happened.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I love you WonderWoman1979. lol
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I love Jesus!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• lol. I am just being honest. I am not saying neither is true or not. I am a huge researcher that is all :)
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• anon...that is totally cool with me. I have respect for all belief systems so long as we don't push eachother you know?
    WonderWoman1979

• and yet, for some reason, people who worship/believe in God/JC, are mocked/questioned/ridiculed the most..as apparent here on CM. seems to me, where there's smoke, there's fire.

i don't deny any other beliefs as real..to the person who believes. they aren't myths, no matter which god/God it is. i do believe there are other gods, just not the one i believe to be real. and i wager other believers (in various gods) will say the same.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• this is what myth means by the way

A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society: the myth of Eros and Psyche; a creation myth.
    Such stories considered as a group: the realm of myth.
    A popular belief or story that has become associated with a person, institution, or occurrence, especially one considered to illustrate a cultural ideal: a star whose fame turned her into a myth; the pioneer myth of suburbia.
    A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology.
    A fictitious story, person, or thing: "German artillery superiority on the Western Front was a myth" (Leon Wolff).
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• dull you have a good point here and i like that you respect others however how can there be other gods and not be real god? I am just asking and you are not the only ones being ridiculed!! Others do as well. If it wasn't for the pushing of a belief no one would care what you believe in. Let's stick to the question however. I posted a definition of what "myth" means. Everything could be considered a myth and a choice to believe or not but it doesn't however mean that is is true
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 11:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I can believe it is a myth and I do. Not that you'll get any of the godslaves to agree that the bible even MIGHT be nothing more than Judean mythology. The historicity of Jesus, as portrayed in the bible, cannot be proven. Historically, Nazareth did NOT exist during the time he is said to have been alive--it was a ruin. Historically, if he existed at all, he was probably born in Jerusalem...NOT Bethlehem. Tho Bethlehem existed in his time, it was an insignificant hick village. The acts attributed to him were performed by many other Jewish magicians of that time, including Jesus Bar Simon and Apollonius of Tyrana. He was not the first one to raise the dead, heal the sick, or turn water into wine. He was not the first to walk on water or, for that matter, resurrect from the dead. And nothing about him is written in ANY OTHER historical document of that time. He was just another magical god-men out of many.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree. And no matter how much many of the CM moms don't like it I will continue to refer to them as Christian Myths. They are after all the Christian equivalent of any other Cultures or Religion's Myths. Those who belong to those paths, believe those myths or at least see them for what they are...

What I don't understand is why so many are offended by the word Myth. I'm surely not, it's an accurate depiction of what religious stories really are. Why is it offensive?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2010