I read where someone advised to not allow the Dr to cut the cord until it stopped pulsing....why, what does that do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• So the baby can get all the oxygenated blood from the placenta before taking it's first breath. It is also believe to prevent hypovolemia( not enough blood), jaundice, anemia and the need for a blood transfusion to name just a few.. After it stops pulsing, all or most of the blood has went to the baby from the placenta.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Hmmmm, that makes me think....both of my babies had jaundice after birth...and their cords were cut immediately....I will have to research this further! Might make all the difference with my third!!!!
    Anonymous

• I believe its something like 40% of the babys blood is delivered throught the cord after birth and without that blood it can cause the baby to have many difficulties from low APGAR, juandice, increase RR, breathing difficulties, anemia, and even more serious complications. I would strongly suggestdelayed cord clampling at least unti after it stops pulsating.
    Anonymous