Do you think today's technology is making us lose our ability to communicate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope. Just the way we communicate.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• No, it gives poeple more ways to communicate.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• No, I find that I am taking more time to be sure that I am finding the right words to express my feelings, because there are no external cues to help get the intent of what I want to say to the recipient. So, for me, it is making me much more accurate in my communication.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:04 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Like text messaging and e-mail vs having an actual conversation? In some ways, yes.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My 15y/o niece actually says "LOL" out loud when talking to you...and I had a co-worker who would actually say "OMJ" in the same way...and this gal was 50something!

Yes, it's degrading speech...and spelling...and writing...and communication.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Any time someone uses TEXT language in their writing, it is obvious that standards and educational values are being destroyed by technology. in other words,people don't learn to write---they just text. not a good sign. Too many people here at CM use text...."U" instead of "You". "Ure" instead of "Your". DO they sleep through English class? I think they are teens but who knows...maybe they are adults who dropped out of school? ANyway,it is disturbing and lazy.
    Anonymous

• Our ability to spell? Definitely. Ability to be compassionate? Absolutely. But we still communicate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes, it's sad. There are many great things about technology because just as many bad things.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes... kids especially... not all of them but there are some out there that have no idea how to be sociable outside of their home or off the phone. My oldest son struggled... I struggle but my reason is I find it easier to communicate online due to being hearing impaired.. I dont miss the words but i do miss the tone ... so dunno what Id rather have tone and missing words or not missing words and no tone.
    My oldest does a lot better socially now, he is in the dramatic arts and gets out and hangs with friends.. thank God.. He is 16... my youngest has friends over often.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes in many many ways.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 3:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2010