So when is a baby a baby?

While you're pregnant or after it's born?

I think when it is no longer just cells forming and it developes a beating heart and brain, it is already considered a life and, in fact, a baby. Because for those who WANT a baby, when they find out they are pregnant are already considering the "fetus" growing inside them a baby, giving it a name etc. So for me, it is a baby while I'm pregnant with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When you want it.
    Anonymous

• by the time it reaches fetus stage.
    Anonymous

• So if I stopped wanting my 4 month old would he stop being a baby?
    I don't know the answer. I had a miscarriage at 7 weeks a few years ago and at that point it would have had a heart beat before it died. The entire placenta passed in one piece and I saw the little embryo floating in it's sack. It was really pretty fascinating. It was more than a blob of cells at that point. But I have a lot of friends who tell me that baby is in heaven now. I named it and buried it, but I question whether it's alive in heaven now. I don't know. I guess it's just not up to me to decide.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It's a baby as soon as it's conceived. Before it has a heartbeat, it's a baby. Before you know it's there, it's a baby. A human being.
    Anonymous

• from the time you conceive what are you pregnant with ? nothing other than a BABY. Its always a baby.
    Anonymous

• When sperm meets egg.
    Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• from the day of conception! A baby is a miracle that starts the day you conceive whether you know yet or not!!!!!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• From the time it implants into the uterus. I don't believe in the "when sperm meets egg" theory. Sperm may meet egg, but it doesn't mean you're pregnant; that won't happen until the fertilized egg, or blastocyst, implants into the uterine lining and starts to grow. It's very common for fertilized eggs to never implant.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 3:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My answer: from the moment of fertilization.

The heart is beating at 18 days, so if you go by that criterion, at about 2 1/2 weeks.

The PC answer: if the mother wants it. If she doesn't want it and plans to abort, it is a fetus clear through the ninth month.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• If I lost my baby before it had a heartbeat, I would be just as heart broken.

People who justify abortion with "its not a real baby" just don't feel the connection.
    MrsAdorkable

Answer by MrsAdorkable at 8:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2010