I just found out am preganant :) :) Should I avoid artificial sugars like those found in diet drinks?

Like Diet Dr. Pepper? What about using Crystal Light...does that have artificial sugar in it...

Isnt that type of sugar called aspartame...or something like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well, hell yeah you should! LOL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 12:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes, of course!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes, just avoid soda altogether. Drinking too much soda prevents calcium absorption in your bones. Start eating healthy and get some prenatal vitamins. When I was pregnant, I pretty much only drank water and milk.

Congratulations!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• While some OBs (including mine) say it is ok in moderation, I feel it should be avoided by everyone - NOT just pregnant people.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Congratulations!

Artificial sweeteners are not healthy for you and should be avoided when pregnant. Crystal Lite does have artificial sweeteners, as do most diet soft drinks. A lot of yogurts have them too, so be mindful of what you consume.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 12:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I have to agree with most other people and say avoid artificial sweeteners not because you are pregnant but because they are just bad for you.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree.

You won't miss them. The thing with artificial sweeteners is that for most people they make the body crave more sweet things. You end up eating more calories than if you just drank the sugar soda (or whatever) in the first place. Learn to love water. Try different kinds with different ice. My splurge is store bought ice. I can drink tap water but I love store ice. It's only $1 and a bag lasts me a week or two. I like stainless steel insulated mugs best.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i agree with sonia...everyone should avoid them, pregnant or not!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• first of all you shouldn't drink soda at all! and yes sweetners are bad for you! Switch to a fresh lemonade or water! Plus you need to cut out unhealthy sugar of all kinds if possible! Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• YES!! regular refined sugar is bad for you, but the artificial stuff is WAY worse! i don't drink soda but the hubby and I were buying crystal light (store brand style) drinks regularly - these have aspartame. i was having severe migraines regularly. a friend mentioned how she was cutting out aspartame so i did some investigation, quit those drinks, and - voila - no more migraines... tell you anything?? there are others out there - the splenda version and equal version, etc - no matter what the claims they are ALL bad! if you want to avoid sugar and use a sweetening agent, use honey or stevia, an herbal sweetener that comes in little packets.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010