Hispanics with hyperactive children?

First off, I would like to say I am by far not a bit racist or prejudice. I know it's not "always" mexican's/hispanics, and that it happens with other races as well. But I'm curious to know if it's something to do with the culture.

Every time I go to the health depart. for my prenatal appts there are people in there with children, people of all races, I always seem to notice that the white children and african-american children are sitting quietly at the play table or with their parents, but the hispanic children are running amuck, climbing all over stuff, nurses having to get onto them because the parent's are just sitting there staring off into space. Seriously, why is this? Why do I see it nearly all the time with the same behavior and the parent's not doing anything about it? It's just so strange to me (and annoying too when one of the kids is playing with the water fountain next to you and splashing you)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's a cultural thing. When I moved to Tucson I was overwhelmed by Mexican American kids and their behavior in stores. My friend I was living with explained that Mexican mothers are more tollerant of kids running around. The mothers also expect others to tell their kids if they are doing something really dangerous. At home they often live in large family groups with everyone looking after the kids.

What I think is funny is Chinese buffets. the Chinese expect kids to sit quietly and they have signs up in Spanish telling people to make kids behave. Then you have the relaxed Mexicans that don't care (even if there are signs). It must really bother the Chinese.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• its because they don't make them act right!
    Anonymous

• Not all hispanic children act the way you described! Upbringing has a lot to do with it!
    Anonymous

• Uhm...maybe it's just your area?....that doesn't happen where I live.
    Anonymous

• because the parent's are just sitting there staring off into space

you said it. there is your answer.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OMG I totally know what you mean! It bugs the crap out of me! I only have to deal with it once every 3 months at WIC, thank goodness, but that's way too much!

I do have a possible answer though - I used to work at a grocery store, and you would not believe how much kool-aid they buy - like 40 packets & 20lbs of sugar per trip - every 1-2 weeks - and these were people that used their WIC at the same time! They fill the kids up on frickin sugar and dye, in the kids' bottles no less! I swear on my kids' lives this is the truth, and I think it's why they're so much more hyperactive! ARGH!
    Anonymous

• They are not "hyperactive" they are not disciplined. MOST of the time when I see misbehaving children their parents are not saying anything to them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I've learned to shop when stores aren't busy most of the time. I've lived in Tucson for 2 years now and the kids don't bother me.

I think it is better than Indiana. When you shop there, mothers misbehave more than children. They hit their kids. Scream at them. There was lots of counting to 3. You never hear that stupid practice in Tucson. Parents swearing. They would say stupid stuff like "do you want a spanking?" It always seemed like the worst moms were the loudest moms. Many of the worst moms seemed to think they were doing a good job.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Sugar and dye don't make kids hyperactive. Scientific studies have proven that is a myth. It's not good for kids but it doesn't make them hyperactive.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I am sure any kid would act that way if you let them.

Some parents have no clue, and trust me they come in every race. I have seen it in white, black, hispanic, asian, chinese. You name it, I have seen it.

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2010