You know, I can understand loving YOUR beliefs, but why is it so hard to understand others love THEIR beliefs just as much?

I'm sorry, but if you want to have your beliefs - great! I hope you love them! But I am really getting tired of this "I will pray for you" attitude when people aren't Christian...

I not only understand why Christians believe the way they do, but support their freedom to do so. But this attitude that just because someone isn't Christian that they are missing something or that they are unhappy makes me sick! Could you imagine if some Muslim started telling Christians she would pray for them? Or if a Pagan stated they would send blessings just because they don't agree with the path a Christian is on?

We aren't missing anything. We love our Gods/Goddesses/Selves just as much as you love yours. It sickens me that there isn't any, not even a small amount, of respect for the fact that we can all be happy where we are! Have enough respect to keep your prayers to yourselves!

Where is the respect? You want it, and so do we!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never gotten this either. I'm christian, but I don't bash others for thier beliefs. It's sad that people can't be respectful of others beliefs. You don't have to like it, and you don't have to believe in it.... but be ok it's what they believe!
    Anonymous

• I get annoyed when people i know do not pray yet when something happens they say they will pray.
    Everyone likes to think their way is the right way weather it is their religion or their parenting.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I'm Catholic, and I don't have a hard time understanding other peoples' love of their beliefs. I don't even agree with my own religions beliefs 110%...
    I do hate it when my MIL says she understands, and yet... insists that some of my beliefs are completely incorrect because it doesn't mirror hers. Pisses me the hell off.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I hear you! If I get one more "I'll pray for your soul" message, I think I'm gonna scream! You don't have to like my beliefs, I love them and I'm happy with them - that's all that should matter... I respect your beliefs, I respect that my beliefs aren't yours and I would never in a million years be so condescending to someone else just because they don't agree with me... This "I'll pray for you" attitude pushes my bitch button!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I once told someone I was a secular humanist and she said 'OMG, don't you worry, I will pray that you find your way' lol. I wanted to smack her.
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OK, then why can't you respect someone else's beliefs that tell them that they should pray for you? You want them to respect yours but you won't respect theirs?? I don't believe that there is more than one way to get to heaven. I believe there's one. What would be the point in me following my faith if I'm not going to try to help others receive the same rewards as mine? Please, respect MY beliefs,
    Anonymous

• I don't expect anyone to change their beliefs to make me more comfortable.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I think this is part of that whole "brain washing" thing many non-christians talk about. Christians are raised, and taught to believe that those who do not believe in Jesus and god are missing out on something and therefore must be miserable depressed souls. Some of it may come from their own experience when they went through a rough patch or rebellion period in life and their belief in god is what "turned them around". Some follow hollywood videos too closely and think it's "fact"(how many murder mysteries portray the serial killer as a "pagan" devil worshipper) , and some have no idea and are merely parroting what they've been taught. It kind of puts a buffer on the capability to be respectful to another person's beliefs that differ from your own.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OK, then why can't you respect someone else's beliefs that tell them that they should pray for you?

And where exactly does it say you have to tell them you're doing it so you get credit for it (not to mention all the condescending bs about how sad it is and how they're going to hell)?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2010