Why should I have to press "1" for English????

Ah!!! That is so annoying! I just went to check my EBT card and the first question asked was "press 1 for English" before they started rambling in Spanish.

Hello! This is America! I shouldn't have to press 1 for English. And if someone is getting PA in this country and they don't speak English, they shouldn't be getting assistance. IMO. You don't agree, oh well.

Yes, it's food stamps but before you jump down my throat about us getting food stamps, my DH and I have worked our butts off for 2 years and this is our last month getting them!!! I am so excited, my DH just started his new job with benefits and more than enough $ for bills and food!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you, it's annoying. Some people actually think English is not the official language of America, it is. But that is what they will tell you. And yes, if you are here and can't speak the language, you should not get free food and medical care. It kind of negates an immigrant, legal or otherwise, from working legally or learning English. It's also not right to take out when you have not put in.

Congratulations to you for this being your last month to be getting aid! I'm sure it feels wonderful to see your hard work paying off.
    Anonymous

• wow. that is just lazy. you cant push a dang button.
    Anonymous

• que?!?!
    Anonymous

• In the midwest, we push #1 for Spanish. I don't see why it is such a big deal. If you are so xenophobic, move to another planet because. lady, the world is full of different languages and so is the USA. Get used to it.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It should say 'press one for spanish' then start rambling in english. I see what your saying. English in no longer the main language. At least not on the West coast. We are the odd balls now. Maybe we will get minority benefits?? That'd be nice.
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• You shouldn't. It's attitudes like above that are turning America into somethingshe should never be.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Whats annoying is pressing 1 for english.And getting an operator who can barely speak it.LOL

Anonymous

• Just so you know the "rambling" in Spanish was saying press 2 for spanish..... anyway speaking English is not a prerequisite for living in the United States. Sure it may be a little annoying, but get over it!! If that's your biggest problem- I'm jealous
    Anonymous

• It's not attitudes like mine that are turning america into something its not. Because I actually want EQUAL rights? Theres nothing equal about being a low income single mother and not being able to get grants for school when i'm told that it I was a minority I would. Thats not equal and it sure as hell isn't fair!
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• ohhhhh touche ! i see the Spanish ladies getting pissed off !
    well how would u feel if they gave an option to press 1 for Spanish and then start rambling on in English in Mexico ???
    Anonymous