Anxiety meds

For those of you who are taking medication for anxiety...What are you taking and has it really helped much?I went to the dr. 3 days ago and she gave me a script for paxil.But after a couple of restless nights and reading some more information about it.I'm afraid to take anymore of it.The thought of being dependent on a drug scares me,but i need something to help even my moods out.Is there anything safer besides paxil.If i ever needed to come off of it i would be able to handle nausea and such.With paxil you can have a lot of pain and brain zaps...no thanks.Not going to deal with weird shit like that.Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• I took Lexapro 10mg for a while. My hubby was going to school out of state so I was taking care of the house, the kids, the yard and working full time and I got really overwhelmed. I liked it bc it didn't alter my mood...it just felt like it took the edge off. Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• I didn't have any of those side effects with Paxil. It helped me. I weaned off of it when I was ready. I hope you get the answers and help that you are looking for.
    Anonymous

• My SO takes subutex. He has severe anxiety. The subutex is meant for opiate addicts. He has been on 20 different meds in the past 2 years and hes suffered from anxiety since he was a boy. He says the subutex is the best thing he's ever taken.
    leslie_zoe2010

Answer by leslie_zoe2010 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I was taking Zoloft which was awesome for anxiety. I would recommend that one to ANYONE who needs help with anxiety. The only thing is it takes about 2 weeks to reach it's full potential and the first week on it is rough. Now I'm taking Cymbalta which I like even better then Zoloft because it's extended relief and I don't have the "ups" and "downs" like I did with Zoloft..............it's more consistent, if that makes any sense.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I take zoloft it seems to help alot
    Anonymous

• Have you explored your nutritional status, and by that I mean have you actually gone and had serum blood levels of vitamins and minerals? Because if you haven't, you're missing a huge chunk of relevant information. Vitamins and minerals do affect mood, and more than 60% of American women are deficient in B1, B3, B6, B12, zinc, iron and Vitamin C. People with anxiety are very likely to have deficiencies in any or all of the B vitamins, iron and zinc, and correcting the deficiency goes a long way towards lessening or in some cases elimnating anxiety symptoms. Be warned however, it takes a while, possibly six months to correct a significant deficiency and it should be done under the supervision of your physician after deficiences have been identified via blood testing.
    Anonymous