What is your top tip for keeping your kitchen organized?

I want to get my house and life organized - and am looking to tackle one thing at a time. What tip works best for you?

fourkidssoon

Asked by fourkidssoon at 1:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Before my first child came, I threw away all the mismatched stuff so all kids things would stack nicely in the cupboard.
    Then I bought all everything cheap and dishwasher safe, for the convenience and the ease and stashed the nicer stuff in a box.
    I put a shoe organizer in the pantry for bibs, sippies, snack containers, pacies, etc. Wonderful!!!
    Now I have a cute revolving silverware caddy for the kids so they can grab their silverware themselves.
    Im looking forward to more answers...thanks.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I always like to start from scratch. I empty all of my cupboards and wipe them out, then I decide which cupboards will be for dishes and glasses and which will be for food.
    I put dishes away first and then I organize the food.
    I got a bunch of those long ziplock containers for my pastas so they're all the same size and can be stacked.
    I label the front of them before putting them in the cupboard so I don't have to dig through everything in order to find the one I want.

I have a separate cupboard for my baking stuff.
    I keep the stuff I use the most towards the front of the cupboard and the not so much used stuff near the back.

When I was still with my husband I even labeled the shelves so he'd know where to put things back after he used them.
    Now that it's just me and the kids it's WAY easier to stay organized. lol.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:18 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I read somewhere To put all utensils in a box, have an empty drawer where you will eventually put them. You keep them in a box for 2-4 weeks and as you use them put them in the drawer. Everything that remains in the box after the time period gets tossed.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 1:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010