Why do people take photos of people in caskets?

I think it is creepy and you should remember the person alive not dead.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ugh... really? I didn't know people really did that. Yuck!!
    Anonymous

• Maybe it's a southern tradition? My grandmother had many photos of loved ones, she was from texas.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes, they do.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I did. It used to be common practice back in the old days. I did it with permission both funerals and the families (my parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) all were very grateful for the pictures after the fact.
    Anonymous

• HELL NO!!! My fathers side of the family does that-------ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww, and my grandma made a book about my dad for me and on the last page it was in there, thank god she told me, I bought it over to my moms and she cut it out for me, so I didn't see it---no thanks.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My DH family does the same thing it's really creepy going through their family albums and seeing the pics they are European
    Anonymous

• we did it twice.. the first time, i never got to see my uncle and my father wanted me to see him the whole time he was alive. but they made him look as alive as he could in the casket.
    the second time, my aunt had cancer, everytime she had hair, she'ld go to her hairstylist and have her cut it off and save it because she knew she'ld die soon, it's been years since we saw her with hair seeing the cancer took out her hair.. when they put her in the casket, she had hair and we wanted to make it memorable about the time she had hair and this would be the last time we'll see her with hair and around us. i miss her very much, she was my favorite aunt, my dad's favorite sister and the best family member ever since my father's side is all stupid and shit except her and my mother's side is all about money and only talk to us when it's about a new house and how much money they got now.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• This has been going on for over a hundred years. During the Victorian time, in some circumstances, that was the only picture a family had of their loved one because photography was expensive. Google "victorian post mortem photography". It's an old world thing. My mom's best friend took a picture of her in her casket after she died and told me she had the picture if I ever wanted to see it. I really did not need a picture because that is the last image I have of her in my mind. I don't want to be reminded of it.
    Anonymous

• I have a family member that does that, it is SICK. She is starving for attention, and she even emails people with reminders of peoples birthdays, and dates that our family members died. It's disturbing and part of the reason her kids don't talk to her I'm sure. The last thing I want to see on someones coffee table is a photo album full of dead realatives. I'm sure their are people who do it for a better reason, but it should never be shoved down other peoples throats.
    teamplayer

Answer by teamplayer at 11:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2010