Does anyone else get annoyed when people are always asking you to pray for them?

I have a few friends & reletives who are CONSTANTLY asking me to pray for them. This may sound awful, but I'm over it. After a while, it gets weird. I mean, how many figgen times do you need to ask people to pray for you? The thing that really gets me, is that the peole who ask me have pretty good lives. They ask me to pray about everything, from selling their house to weather conditions. There is so much going on in this world yet people just cannot seem to get over themselves. I mean, i can't say no either, although it would be funny "Sorry, I am not going to pray that it wont rain on your wedding day".

I am spiritual, but I'm not sure how much i even believe in prayer anymore. I think will power is much stronger than prayer. I also think that if your prayers are not heart felt, then why pray? The one & only thing i REALLY pray for with all of my heart is for my daughter, that she will always be protected & safe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This goes hand in hand with not having to tell people you're praying, you don't have to tell them if you don't. I know a few women who ask for prayers for everything, usually for reasons that I would love to reply, "I'll pray for you to learn to live within a budget," not even things like someone is deathly ill or died. I just smile and nod - they don't want the prayers, they want the attention, and since I consider the very act of praying for things to be an abomination, I'm not about to do it on behalf of their latest oopsie spending $100 more than they should have at WalMart.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Just becasue someone asks you to pray for them, doesn't mean that you have to. And if you choose not to, you don't have to tell them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i get more annoyed when people say they will keep me in their prayers. I get what you're saying though...you kinda want to see.."well, i would pray for you, if i prayed." I found the best way to deal with it is just to tell people "i will keep you in my thoughts. It works best for me.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• LoL... my cousin constantly does that on FB .... "pray that I have a good day at work" " pray that I get over this cold" " pray that my car doesnt make that funny sound anymore" ....

I mean I admit i have asked people to pray for me...maybe twice before, and it was serious times ( a DR told me I had cancer ( which i didnt), and then my daughter had to have blood tests done) ....... I believe in god and i do pray and I think its ok to ask people ot pray for you, or to keep you in their prayers....but it is annoying when they ask it everyday..... I have enough people and things to pray for already lol ( thats what i feel like saying)
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Personally, I think if you're in need and would like my prayers, I'm more than happy to give them. But there is a point when you cross the line from in need to just annoying. I understand that prayers, even just the belief that someone will pray for us, DOES help. Why? Because it gives us what we need to go on when everything seems to be failing apart! If I'm in need just knowing that there are others out there who care is a blessing in itself. And I never mind returning the favor. But like I said, there is a limit. If your father is dying, you're sick or your kids are sick... I'll pray til I'm blue in the aura... But if every time you get stuck at a red light you want me to pray... not so much.

Almost like the boy who crys wolf... People come when they think he's in need. But after the third time finding no big issue they start to give up & when he really need him, they aren't there.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i meant say not see...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• If you are not comfortable just tell them, it is better than lie when you say you will be praying for them. You don't have to specifically pray for what they asked, but maybe in you prayers you can ask God to bless that family. Just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• Personally I'm not religious and I find it offensive when people say "I'll pray for you". It may have good intentions but it feels like they just tried to sucker punch me.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• .."well, i would pray for you, if i prayed

I've used that line before, followed by "but I'll keep you in my thoughts'
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OP here

"I'll pray for you to learn to live within a budget,"

LOL! That is hilarious!

I know i don't have to pray for them. I'm just over people asking me. I'm not even Christian & yet people ask me all the time. I kind of feel like they want others to feel sorry for them, liek you said...searching for attention. TOTALLY LAME!!!!
    Anonymous