HELP! MY 14MO DD HAS JUST STARTED HITTING! WHAT DO I DO?

I know it's to soon for certain types of disciplining like time out or a smack on the butt, because she won't understand. So what can I do? She's smacking me, my husband, my mom, even my niece in the face.... hard!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would tap her on the hand and tell her no in a serious voice
    Anonymous

• Everyone needs to react the same way. Get eye level with her, take both of her hands in yours and tell her no. Then walk away.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My son was about the same age when he started hitting. This was also the time I started giving time outs. Some people don't agree with time outs but they worked for us.
    Every time he hit me I would take him to the time out spot and sit him down. At first I would have to sit with him because obviously he didn't understand.
    I would say "Silas, no hitting. No." and we'd sit there for a minute or two. He hated not being able to go anywhere.

Soon he knew that when he was sat in that spot, that he had to stay put and that every time he hit, he was sent to time out.
    I think the whole hitting phase lasted about three weeks at the most with us.

Regardless of what I thought he could understand, I would explain it to him every time. "Silas, no hitting. It's not nice. Hitting people makes them feel sad."
    He also had to go give a hug and kiss and say sorry to whoever it was he hit(usually it was me) after his time out.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 1:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Mine is 15 mos. and does the same thing sometimes. She thinks it's so funny when people say 'ow.' I grab her hand and say no. She will keep trying and then get bored. Distraction seems to work better. I've tried slapping her hand and she just laughs.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Too soon for time outs? Mine had time outs at 12 mos and understood it well enough to not do that behavior again. Never underestimate your child's inelegance, they're smarter than you know.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 2:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Who said it was too soon for time outs? No one, that's who.
    Anonymous

• I don't think smacking her on the hand will teach her not to hit, it will just reinforce the negative behavior that she's doing. What we do if my 14 month old DD is a little too agressive (and we can tell she isn't trying to be mean, it's because she's refining her fine motor skills)- we hold her hand with both of our hands and rub it (like you'd pet a cat, I guess) and say, "Gentle. Gentle touch, please." then she tries to imitate us.
    Anonymous