if your child is in Head Start

my son currently gets speech therapy through the state and they gave me some information about Head Start for my son next year. One local mom told me she heard one school (not sure where exactly, might not have been this state) was sued for child abuse. The therapist told me the school out my me is one of the better ones in my area since it isnt in the city. I will of course tour the school and everything before I apply. But I would like some information and experiences from you moms! The therapist told me they usually do it in groups and the moms hang out in a waiting room?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• well, in theory Head Start is a federally funded program that all uses the same curriculum, so they should all "look" the same, but like any school, it all comes down to the quality of the teachers and staff
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• peanutsmommy1 is correct. I've seen some great ones, and I've seen some terrible ones.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 2:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i'm not trying to focus on just the bad ones...that's the last thought I want lol but what made the bad ones so bad? the one I heard about, with the child abuse just makes me cringe. a child wouldnt stop crying so a teacher threw the child across the room and caused injury. This is why i'm so happy the one we'd be going to isnt in the ghetto part of town.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• What makes the bad ones bad is the staff, of course. If the staff is burnt out or overworked or poorly trained, etc., then they are not going to be able to handle the stress of the job and could take it out on the children. Once you visit the program where your child would be going and have a chance to speak to the staff & see how the children already in attendance behave, you should have a better idea of how the staff will interact with your child.
    Anonymous

• I would think that with this kind of program, for kids with special needs, they would hire experienced and trained teachers? people who are prepared for the challenges and randomness of the special needs? not just someone with a decent resume?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• The teachers all have to be certified special education teachers, but the support personnel, at least around here, do not. And anybody can become burnt out or overworked in a job, no matter how dedicated they are.
    Anonymous

• yes anon 343 that is very true. doesnt matter how qualified a person is. that doesnt mean they are mary poppins 24/7 lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Kiwi was in a state funded headstart/preschool for two years before we had to take her out due to health reasons three months ago. She loved it. It's all she wanted for her 3rd birthday, so in Feb. of '08, we signed her up for it. They saw how much she wanted to be there and let her start early and finish out that year.
    They taught her so much and gave her a start on being used to the school setting so she'll know what to expect when she starts kindergarten in August.
    Her teachers were all amazing. We saw one at a store one weekend, and she ran right up to her, so excited, and hugged her. They were great with the kids.
    There will be bad schools where ever you go, with every type of school. It's not necessarily the school, it's just bad people who slipped in. You'll get the chance to meet the teachers before he starts.
    Putting her in head start/preschool is a decision I'd definitely make again.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• thank you kiwismommy!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2010