How many of you don't put your kids in preschool?

We don't and other than 1 friend of mine we seem to be the only ones we know. Everyone we know kind of acts like you are just supposed to because everyone does. So does anyone else not have their kids in preschool and not plan to either?

SoniaL

Asked by SoniaL at 2:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm a certified teacher. I quit teaching to be a SAHM.

Preschool isn't necessary, but there is nothing wrong with it if your child enjoys it. I always planned on waiting until Kindergarten for my kids to start school, but my oldest is turning 4 this August and we've decided to put her in a half day pre-k.
    She has a 2 yr old brother and baby sister and I think it'll be good for her to have her own identity without the siblings for a few hours a day. I also think it will be great for my son, who my DD loves to bully.

Preschool or no preschool. I don't feel there is a right or wrong answer here. Just what ever works better for your child and family.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I don't want my son in preschool. If I could I would home school him. We live in a really great school system so my husband doesn't want to home school. If we move though, might be a different story.
    Anonymous

• we did, I work in early childhood and I have seen the emotional and academic difference at kindergarten between kids who had a preschool experience and those who didn't
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My kids didn't go to preschool, but then again they wont be going to any kind of school, since I am now, and intend to continue to, homeschool.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My DD is only two, but we will be putting her in preschool when the time comes. With all of the rigorous testing and such that kids go through now-a-days, I want to give her the best start possible!! We are teaching her everything we can think of already. She just turned two last week and says her complete ABC's, and can identify most of them, numbers 1-20 in English and Spanish, tons of colors, numerous songs, etc. In my opinion, it is incredibly important to teach your children (in a fun manner of course) all of these things before school. If you can get them ready for school on your own from home, skip the preschool, but I'm worried I won't be able to!
    Anonymous

• We didn't, and don't plan to. I have yet to see any difference in any child who did go to preschool and those who don't. I've even heard it from those who work in the education system. I'm working with our son on the alphabet and numbers but I see no real value to preschool.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• MY Son is starting pre-school in September. He will be 4 in October, so we may do two years of pre-school because the cutoff is Dec.31st. Anyway, I am only sending him because the poor little guy has no one to play with. There are no small children where I live and I want him to interact with other kids. I am actually a little worried because he has no idea how to share. He is with only adults 24/7. We go to the library occasionally but I haven't found any other Moms who have the time to get together. I feel he is Sooo bored at home and is so ready for school. He'll be going M/W/F 9-12:30. So it's basically like me bringing him to the Library but me being able to leave. Except we will be paying $300 per month.

Anonymous

• Anon 2:22 - Your DD does NOT need preschool! She sounds great. She knows way more now than the will teach her there. Unless you worry about her ability to listen to a teacher and walk in a line. What they expect of them in kindergarten is so minimal. I was shocked. My DD is finishing her kindergarten year this week. She tested at the beginning of the year where they want them at the end of the year.
    Peanutsmommy: She is ahead of most of her class and has no social issues. She is friends with every kid there (her teacher even said so). She is happy and confident there. Never went to preschool.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• We put our oldest son in preschool for just a few months and just socially for him, it made a HUGE difference. We had wished to have started him at the beginning of the yr, but we just couldn't afford it. With our 2nd one, we are most definitely putting him in preschool. I honestly feel that they can learn so much more than just what we teach them. Between us as parents and the teachers themselves, it can make a world of a difference. With my mother being in the school system for over 20 yrs, mostly kindergarten, she always say a HUGE difference between the kids who didn't go to preschool and those who did. Socially, emotionally and academically.

Not saying it's right for everyone but we feel it's right for us and our children. It's worth it. :)
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 2:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I'm not saying there are not exceptions to the rule..... but by and large kids fare better when they have had exposure to a structured classroom envionment
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010