Question for people who own a home????

We just bought a house and i have no idea what to spend money on. What has helped you to stay organized or something you splurged on or maybe needed that you just cant live with out. We have a little extra money to spend with this tax credit and i want to know what i should buy that maybe im not thinking of because i have never owned a home. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We just moved, and here's a few things I am thinking:

Buy a good big doormat to catch most of the dirt before it gets tracked into your house.

If you aren't a gardner/landscaper splurge on having one get your yard set up in a pleasing and easy to care for design.

Buy anything that will help keep things clean or make cleaning easier.

Make sure you have enough smoke detectors.
    Anonymous

• What we did was go through the house, the inspector missed some things, and looked at what needed work to to be replaced. We redid the plumbing to the washing machine. It was so old and in horrible shape. Other than that, if you have extra money I'd suggest putting the money in the bank and not touching it. You never know when something is going to break and you can't just call the landlord anymore.
    Anonymous

• Keep it saved for those issues that arise suddenly. If you can't think of something to spend it on, just keep for something later.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Put it away for the things that may come up in the future.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree with the first answer. An inspector can't see between walls and under floors, so hang onto the money in case a problem arises.
    Anonymous

• I agree, put the money away and save it for when you need it, and you will!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Agreed put the money away and SAVE it for when things come up. We bought our home in 2003 and since then we have to replace the whole septic system $10,000-Out of pocket! We have to replace the water-pump $6,000-Out of pocket; We have to do some rewiring. $3,000-Out of pocket. Our central air unit needs to be fixed that's $1,000 (haven't don it yet). So save your money! Put it in the bank and keep saving!!! You just never know what you are going to need it!!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree with saving it for future needs. The one thing I really wish I would have thought of before moving into my house is painting. It's much easier to do when you don't have to move everything to get around the room. Congradulations on your new home!

Anonymous

• Maybe upgrade your kitchen or baths if needed.
    I loved painting my kids rooms!
    Bedroom furniture, or a big piece of furniture like buffet, china cabinet, or armiore. These pieces you will usually have for a lifetime.
    You should do landscaping slowly.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• put the money away for the first year. you will be amazed at what will come up during year 2 in the house.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2010