How did YOU get rid of the BAD BINKY???

My 2 yr.old twins can't let go no matter how hard I try w/ them , I can't get through a whole day w/ out them screamming and throwing the Mother of all tantrums. Please any suggestions. I've tried clod turkey and by the end of the day I wanted to cry...

twotwinsmom

Asked by twotwinsmom at 2:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally, I would just let them keep it. They will eventually get rid of them. Maybe they still have a high sucking desire.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• When my son was 2 1/2 I had enough. We went on vacation and I told him we forgot it. That was it. No more pacifier ever again. It was hard, and will be even harder with 2, but I really think cold turkey is the only way. Being on vacation was good because we were doing new and fun stuff (beach, etc.) Try to keep them occupied with other things. We even had to drive around to get my son to sleep. He asked for it for about a month, but honestly it wasn't that bad.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• At the age of 2, it's more of a comfort to them, a habit because they are so used to it. And they are smart lil' buggers too at that age. They know that if they cry long enough, you will give in. :( Honestly, my kiddos have never used the paci except at infant stage but I've heard from other friends and moms that the best way is just cold turkey, throw them out and they will eventually get used to it. The tantrums WILL be hard on all of you but it will be worth it. :)

I've also heard to cut the tip off from it. Not sure why....maybe it just doesn't have the same effect with the sucking?

I've also heard about making a BIG and FUN deal out of doing something with all the binkies. Hunting around the house for all of them, putting them in a box (have them help you color it or something) and "mail" it to another baby (then hide it and throw it out where they cannot find it). :)

HTH!
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 2:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree with cold turkey. My son was hooked on it til 2 as well. He just used it for naps and sleep at night though. Never during the day. I never allowed him to have it all day. One day i just got tired of it and it was getting old and nasty looking and i sure was not going to buy him a new one! So i just took it away and when nighttime came i told him the dog ate it! He handled it fairly well! He was upset and we had a few troubled nights that followed but nothing unbearable. He just missed it for sleep time mostly and eventually just forgot about it. Hes 4 now and if u ask him what happened to his pacifier, he remembers and will tell u the dog ate it! LOL!
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Well.. I have cut about 1/2 of the tips off thinking thy wouldn"t want them any more but they still do. It"s keeping us from sleeping all night. They wake up because the Binky falls out and they won't go back to sleep w/ out it
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 2:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My son is 21 months, his pacifier is the bottle. I have a son who is 8 months. So it was hard to get rid of it. Rather than fight it, he gets a bottle at nap and bed. I have weened him down to 4 or 5 oz of milk. But he still needs that sucking stimuli to calm him down. Inthe mornings when I go in after he has woke up, he is typically laying there sucking on an empty bottle. Same thing as a paci. But in a few short months, the bottle is being packed up. I don't think my second son will be as hard, since he already uses a sippy cup and watches his brother with cups during the day. But the tantrums suck, I couldn't imagine 2 of them screaming like that. Just think, it will be gone soon....you don't see 4 year olds running around sucking on them!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2010