I don't feel its right for my doctors to collect a co-pay EVERY visit....can they do this?

I went to my doctor a few weeks ago and paid my 50 dollar co-pay. Today was just a follow up, i really did'nt have to go i don't guess, but it was a 50 dollar co-pay. I saw the doctor all of 5 minutes for her to tell me to come back in 2 wks for blood work. Well i'm going to be really pissed if i have to pay another 50 dollar co-pay in that 2 wks. I don't understand why they could'nt have done the blood work then. I don't know if they think i am made out of money or something but can they really do this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• yep.. they sure can.... it is a copay PER visit
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes they can! They charge you for every visit, even if you are in and out. Your co-pay is your share of that office visit, no matter how long it was! The insurance is covering the rest. That's why they charge you every time you go in....
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OH yes mam they can. My Doc only doesnt charge co-pay if my kids are just getting shots.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• The doctor's office isn't making you pay it. It's the insurance company that requires you to pay a 50$ copay. The doctor's office needs to get paid. and they have to charge you what the insurance company won't pay for. They wouldn't care if you didn't pay if your insurance company covered the visit 100%.
    Anonymous

• Sorry but yep! they do this to ensure they will get paid in a timely manor because alot of people skip out on paying their bill then the doctor is stuck without being paid. Put yourself in his/her shoes what if you were the doctor wouldn't you want some security in knowing you would be paid?? Of course and for the other 50 copay yes you will have to pay it no matter the circumstance..Sometimes to save time and money you could request to do the blood work then and there and not have to go in weeks later for bloodwork. But sometimes if it's to see if the medicine is working effectively you have to be on the medicine a certian amount of time before they can actually tell if you need a bigger dose or different medication GL:)
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• its a FUCKING RIP OFF. No wonder they are able to pay for a brand new office. They are ripping everyone off by having them come back and forth for every little thing. Why can't they do everything in one visit?
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately yes they can next time you go make up something about what you would like to get checked out on at least like this you can get your moneys worth and yes it is very ridiculous I mean maybe once a month would be ok but damn every 2 wks you are practically throwing your money away I am sorry.
    Anonymous

• Call your insurance company and ask. Your doctors office is following insurance rules. Every insurance is different. I didn't have to pay anything when I was pregnant but my sister had to have a copay for every visit she went to. We just had different insurance companies.
    Anonymous

• Contrary to popular beliefs a good portion of the doctors office AREN'T ripping you off. Doctors do NOT make money everyone thinks they do. Because of insurance fraud, idot lawsuits and what-not doctors are barely usually in the red between the price of their practice, paying other employees, insurance for their employees, equipment, malpractice insurance, which usually run in the 6 figures per year, etc...........Also co-pays have to do with the insurance companies, NOT the doctors office.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It's true that the co-pay is the portion that insurance will not cover. Some offices have policies in place that the co-pay has to be paid at the time of the visit, where other offices will just bill you later if that's your preference. However that fee still would have to be paid regardless if you you paid at the time of the visit or if it was billed. Either way the doctor needs the money for their services. (Even if it was a 2 minute visit). Some people like me have a high-deductible insurance which means I have to pay $5,000 OUT of pocket every calendar year before the insurance will pay a penny!!! We have only reached our deductible once and that was because my son had surgery at the end of Nov 2009. However seeing it is now 2010 I have to pay for all the follow ups before my ins. will pay. As of Jan 2010 I've already spent $2,000 in medical care. I'll have spend $3,000 more this calendar year before ins. will pay.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2010