What does a 100% effaced mean? And can u be that without being dialated?

amylynn4919

Asked by amylynn4919 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it means you're about to have a baby.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OK, in layman's terms, here is how my doc described it. Your birth canal is like a hallway leading to your vagina, which is like a doorway. When the birth canal starts to soften and give way and shorten, it is called "effacing". When the vagina starts to open, it is called "dilating". The birth canal can efface all the way before you are fully dilated. Generally, when one is 100% effaced, they are beginning to dilate a little bit at least, but it also happens quite often that a person will not dilate at all until after they are fully effaced. Hope I helped!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Effacement is the process by which the cervix prepares for delivery. After the baby has engaged in the pelvis, it gradually drops closer to the cervix; the cervix gradually softens, shortens and becomes thinner. You may hear phrases like "ripens," or "cervical thinning" which refer to effacement.
    Anonymous

• If you are a first time mom, your cervix will usually efface before it dilates. If you are a second time mom, your cervix will usually dilate before effacement.
    Anonymous

• "Generally, when one is 100% effaced, they are beginning to dilate a little bit at least, but it also happens quite often that a person will not dilate at all until after they are fully effaced."

Thats not true, Most women will start dilating before they are 100% effaced. Like I was 80% effaced and 2cm dilated. And some women (most common with second pregnancies and so on) will start dilating first.

Anonymous

• By "generally", I meant "most of the time". But I have heard of many instances where the woman didn't dilate until she was fully effaced. You are right, however, in that in the majority of cases, that is not true; I could have been more clear. Thank you for pointing that out.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2010