When do you inroduce solids?

When do you inroduce solids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She doesn't eat all that much some days, and other days she eats quite a lot. Out eating sessions are discovery time. If I don't want a mess I just let her eat food off my fingers (if she doesn't want it she wont take it). And if I want her to have a grand time squeezing the life out of a pear, I set up the high chair, get her naked, and let her chase and squish chunks. She even gets some in her mouth. She's getting better. Soon she'll be able to pick up peas or blueberries. right now I squish them a bit and give them to her.

We don't do baby rice cereal or baby food. It tastes horrible. I won't eat it so I don't give it to her.

Oh, yeah. And it doesn't matter how much solids she samples. She still nurses every 2 or 3 hours. Sometimes ever hour. I let her eat when she wants how much she wants. I'm not a clock watcher :)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Between 4 and 6 months. Start off with rice cereal first.

Hope this helps a bit.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• 6 months. And the kid may not even be ready then so don't push it if s/he's not.
    Anonymous

• The average is at six months. I started both of my kids on rice cereal when they were 4 months.

Start with pureed foods then slowly work up to soft, small, finger foods.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• When your baby is ready. I started giving my first baby food at about 5 months, but he didn't really start eating much of it and really enjoying it until about 8 months. My second refused baby food when offered around 6 months, so she started at 7 months and went straight to table food (which, I must say, is much easier than dealing with baby food!).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• 4-6 months... At 4 months only rice... it's thinner. Your little one will probably mush it around on their tongue with a weird face and most will end up on the bib, but it will help him/her to take solids better as time goes on. I would also recommend once a day if you start it at 4 months. This also helps spitting up issues. For me anyway. My little one is 6 months now so she's eating like a pro, and starting to try new things.

Remember one thing too.... when introducing solids, only introduce ONE thing at a time, so if they have a reaction to it you know what caused it. so now I know my daughter can take about any fruit, and many veggies. I haven't given her meats yet.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE,

Im BF i have a 7 month old but im nursing her like every hour or two. Im not suer if im doing something wrong, she is just hungry, or just likes the clinging to me thing.
    Anonymous

• OP, it's the last. She likes being with you. This is the age for it. You can introduce solids now; just mash whatever you're eating. No need for cereal. You're doing nothing wrong, except maybe expecting her to be any different. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• A baby should be able to sit up unassisted and have lost the tongue thrust reflex (a mechanism that pushes out solids). It is recommended to wait until at least 6 months. Your daughter is 7 months so you can just lighty smash whatever foods (fruit and veggies) that you are eating. My baby wasn't interested much in solids until around 7 1/2 months when she really got control of her tongue and could manipulate the food. Then she just started begging. She's 8 months and two weeks now and can handle good size chunks. She gums them (no teeth). There is nothing she hasn't liked. She's had beans, peaches, apples, banana, avocado, broccoli, carrot, spinach potato, sweet potato, cucumber, tomato, butternut squash, bits of bread, kiwi, melon, asparagus and more. When I eat she comes begging (sitting or standing) and I give her bits of my meal so she's gotten to sample a lot. When she's done she leaves.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2010