Religious people, would you?

If you found out your neighbors were Atheists would you let your children still play with them or what would you do? Would you slowly back away, or cut it off cold turkey? Would you still let them play and be friends with the parents?

If yes why?

If no why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• dont really care what religion my neighbors are as long as they arent pushing their beliefs on my kids, ALL people are good and bad at the same time and it has nothing to do with religion and i dont want my kids growing up to be hateful towards other religions just like i dont want my kids to be racist. its also good to expose them to other "cultures" maybe thats the wrong word to use but different religions do things differently than others and i want my kids to make their own choice on who they are and what they want to be, not me dedicating on who or what
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yikes!!! That's a tough one. I honestly don't know. Go with your Heart.
    Anonymous

• As long as my children weren't constantly being told I lied to them, or there was no God, then I'd be fine with it. Naturally in return I'd not say anything regarding the subject to their children. I was agnostic long enough that I understand where athiests are coming from to a certain extent.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes, I would unless they started disrespecting our beliefs then we'd have to have a talk about boundaries and go from there.

Id do the same if I had a Christian family living next to me as well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• The kids can't help what their parents believe. I would let my kids hang out and play with them. I'm a Christian but just because they don't believe what I believe, gives me no right to condemn them and hurt my kids because of it.
    Anonymous

• omg religious persecution - how tired.
    Anonymous

• I would let my children play with them. Like Anon said, you can't control what your parents believe. Besides, who knows, maybe that gives your families the opportunity to share about your religion.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I am a Christian and I would absolutely let my children play with theirs, as long as there were no other unfavorable circumstances. Such as, if it were safe and they were kind and friendly, sure! It depends on whether we were compatible as friends that would determine the friendship part, but as long as we all liked each other, I'd be friends with them too. I follow the example of Christ, and He spent time with all sorts of people who many people wouldn't give the time of day. He spent time with people of all walks of life, so I have no problem doing the same. I would love for them to be a part of my faith, and may occasionally mention that if they were comfortable with it, but even if they came flat out and told me that they were not interested, it wouldn't matter in terms of how much time my family spent with them.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes I would let them play. I'm strong in my faith and know atheistism is not contagious. If they are bad kids (destructive, dis obey parents, get into trouble, etc) then my kids will not play with them regardless of their beliefs.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• ( I posed the question......... I am an atheist, and asked this because I'm curious about how people view this question. I live in UTAH of all places, and every neighborhood we've lived in we are surrounded by LDS.... not a bad thing. Some seem to withdraw from us when they find out we're not religious. The Q always comes up about why we don't go to their church. )

Recently we had missionaries over that wouldn't leave as we kept explaining that even though the church has brought so much to their lives we have a lot in ours without religion. Finally my DH said we're atheists. So this coming SUNDAY the neighborhood will know.

I'm not sure how it will affect my 4 year old. We're still moral good people. We don't have anything suggesting we're atheists in our house, we don't talk about religion to our little ones friends, and our son who is 4 still doesn't know about atheism so it's not something he'd bring up either.
    Anonymous