Has anyone successfully conquered depression withOUT meds?

I've struggled with depression and low self esteem since I was a child. My mom was emotional abussive. I tried over 8 antidepressants when I was a teen and they all had horrible side effects and didn't help me. Now after having my 3rd baby, I'm getting really depressed again. I don't want to talk to my dr because she'll just give me meds. Anyone gotten better without meds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• I just recently did this. I was on meds for years and they started to not do anything and I hated being on them. I changed my diet, I get out more and work out. Thinking positive really helps. I know its hard to sometimes but you have to do it whether battling depression or not. I still go through stuff but I handle it so much better now. Any questions, message me.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Obviously I am not a doctor so please take this with a grain of salt, but I have heard that studies have shown regular excercise can be as effective as anti-depressants. I don't know how this would apply to PPD, though, considering the hormones running thru your body. Why not talk to your doctor but let her know meds are your last option and you would really like her help exploring other avenues, and if she can't do that ask her to refer you to someone who will. Or a midwife or doula might have some really good advice about dealing with PPD without meds too. Best of luck to you. Just be sure not to be so anti-meds that you don't treat the problem.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2010