How many ultrasounds should a healthy person have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• none : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I believe it depends on your insurance. Some around 8 weeks and again at 20, possibly again if you go over due and they want make sure there is enough fluid in the bag of water. Other insurance (like county for example) only 1 at 20 weeks, and again if you are over due to check fluid levels.
    Anonymous

• Between 1 and 3. If you don't have a due date you'll have to go for an early sonogram so one can be pinpointed.
    Generally you'll have one about 24 wks or so to check on things.
    You MAY have a third if you request one or if position of the baby can't be determined and labor is due soon or beginning...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:28 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It really depends on the care provider & birth place (midwife or OB, home/birth center/hospital). It also depends on if you are considered "past due" or not, and what your insurance is likely to pay for. I delivered at 2 different hospitals, and had different midwives each pregnancy, so the "standard procedures" were different each time. I think I had 3 U/s the first time - one @ 9 weeks, one @18-ish, one after I hit 40 weeks.
    The second time, my midwife said she saw no reason to do an early u/s except in a high-risk mom, so I had the 1st u/s @ about 20 weeks. I went 42 full weeks that pregnancy, so toward the end I had an extra u/s because the head OB at the hospital told my midwife they needed a complete biophysical profile to make sure it was ok to be past my due date. I know of a few moms who never had a u/s at all - 1 because she had no insurance, 2 because they chose home births and it wasn't needed.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It varies according to the office/hospital you go to. I'm perfectly healthy and they just did 1 at 18 weeks
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 5:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I had 3.... one at 7 weeks, one at 12 weeks the other at 18 I believe
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• 0-1. ACOG doesn't even recommend the use of routine ultrasound in a normal, low risk pregnancy. Many women choose to have at least one done so that they know there isn't something wrong with the baby that would make birth dangerous. Palpation can determine what position the baby is and a fetal stethescope can allow you to hear the baby's heartbeat and placental location without the use of any ultrasound.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 6:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree with the person who said 0-1. Ultrasounds arent really "needed" but are more of a screening tool. An ultrasound around 20 weeks to check the baby's heart/lungs/brain, etc.. was the norm when I had my kids. I did get an extra one with my daughter though because they couldnt get a good look at something they needed to see during the first one.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I think one is a good number if the woman isn't having any problems. I had 2 with my first (a transvaginal one at 6 weeks and the routine one at 20 weeks). I also had 2 with my 2nd. The first was at 26 weeks. The second was at 36 weeks because I was having a repeat c-section just 15 months after the 1st and I was measuring way ahead.
    With my middle 2 kids I had just 1 each (at around 26-28 weeks). I've had 1 so far with this baby (at 32 weeks) and I have to go back for a 2nd because the baby wouldn't cooperate and they couldn't get a good view of something. I really didn't want any but they pestered me until I went.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My drs office routinely does two - one at around 8 weeks and another at 20 weeks. I've had tons of ultrasounds with this one due to some concerns about a possible heart block, but that's not routine.

Answer by missanc at 7:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2010