Is it tacky or acceptable?

I had a babyshower last June for my daughter who was born in July, now I am due again in August, there are things that we need again even though this one is also going to be a girl, is it tacky or acceptable to have another baby shower??

Liz30355

Asked by Liz30355 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's totally acceptable in my family! They just love to have an excuse to buy cute little clothes & other baby stuff, especially older aunts & grandmas. LOL Showers aren't just about gifts, they're about celebrating the new baby & your changing family. If you are worried that some might think it's tacky, just make gifts optional for this shower & put all the focus on gathering together to welcome your new little one.

I don't think baby showers as "first time parent only" affairs are realistic today. When things were made to last, baby items could be used through multiple kids, but that's not always true nowdays. Almost all babies need diapers, wipes, & other items. If kids are close together, parents may need 2 of some things like high chairs or cribs. There are also items that they need with each new baby they have, like car seats. Or what if your kids are born in different seasons? The needs are different with each baby.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Every child should be celebrated - not just the first!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I had a shower with my second. Whats wrong with that?
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i see nothing wrong with it. Congrats!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It depends on how long since the last baby was born, whether it's the same sex, who throws it and whether you register. I don't see anything tacky about a diaper shower or a meet the baby party, but I do think it's a bit much to have a whole big thing with a registry and all for a second baby who's so close in age to the first. JMO.
    Anonymous

• My opinion is that a second shower is tacky. If you can't afford those things for yourself, how can everyone else afford them for you? Do you want to be invited to 10 baby showers a year?

Have a welcome baby party, and if people bring gifts, great. If not, that's fine too.
    Anonymous

• I was brought up to believe a shower is something to help the first-time parents. Not for second, (especially the second in two years) third and fourth babies. Also, that showers are not necessarily a party to "celebrate the baby" but again, to give things and advice a brand new parent needs for the care of the baby. I don't know what is going to happen is this catches on any more than it has. I don't know anyone who can afford to go to baby shower after baby shower all year every year.
    Anonymous

• I'm about to have my fourth girl. I had two baby showers, one for my first and one for my third. But the reason I had one for my third was because i was having a baby with my new husband and not the same father as the first two, and his family threw it for me. I don't think you should have another baby shower even though you need those things. There are lots of things I also need for this new baby coming, but I'm not about to ask other people for anything more. Most people expect that youve kept everything... even though thats not the case. They'll think you'll being greedy. Just so you know, I'm not saying I agree with them, I understand your situation. But I know that they'll think that, cuz I was hoping to have a baby shower thrown for me also.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 6:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I don't care how anon was brought up- If you feel like you want (or need) a shower for this one, that is absolutely fine.

Actually, when they are that close in age, you tend to need more, since the older one may still be using some of the things that you would have otherwise passed on to the new baby.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• every baby should be celebrated!! regardless
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2010