How can I get my 7 month old son to drink water?

I've heard of adding sugar to water but I dnt want to introduce unnecessary sugar to him yet. R there any other techniques I could use? Cuz his poop is rock hard pebbles

Allynmj

Asked by Allynmj at 5:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could try diluted prune or pear juice. He really shouldn't need more than an ounce or 2. Most babies shouldn't get extra liquids other than breastmilk, or formula, so check with your pediatrician first.
    Anonymous

• Don't do karo syrup or sugar water, it's really not good for them at all, even if our parents used to give it to us.
    Anonymous

• If his poops are that hard, he might be getting too much in solids. Start by cutting those back so he will take more formula or breastmilk, whichever you're feeding him. The liquid diet should be the majority of what he gets. Formula or breastmilk RATHER than water...you don't want him filling his tummy on empty calories, either.

If he's formula fed, have you made any changes in formula? That may also need to be switched back. And if he's getting cereal, definitely back off. It's a known constipater.

You can do diluted prune juice if you want....but I would concentrate on formula or breastmilk first.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Make sure he isnt eating anything that is too constipating... bananas and rice are really popular foods, but can be make for hard poops. You could try feeding him some babyfood prunes or plums. Or adding a tiny bit of apple or prune juice to the water.
    My daughter wont drink water out of a regular sippy cup, but if I put it in one of the sippy cups w/the straws she will.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Babyfood prunes always did the trick for my kids when they had any constipation.

Answer by missanc at 7:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• If he is constipated then prunes are a better bet then water or juice. If you need to mix them with something he likes in order to get him to eat it try apples too. At 7 months old the only liquid they should have is breastmilk or formula.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Thanks ladies! He does eat alot of rice so I'll cut back on that n try the diluted prune juice!
    Allynmj

Answer by Allynmj at 8:39 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Ohhh...yeah. That rice cereal is constipating. It's likely the iron in it. I wouldn't give rice cereal at all. You don't need the juice once you get that under control. Breastmilk/formula first. Then go to table foods. Real fruits and veggies.

Jar food and cereals have very little if anything to offer in the way of fiber. That's the stuff that keeps things moving. They cook things to oblivion, dilute it, and strain it. Essentially all the good things that came in the orignal food is lost.

Give the baby fruits and veggies. You an start with things that are naturally soft and easy to manage that require little or no prep. Pears, peaches, blueberries (small or mooshed a bit), avocado, melon, peas, cooked butternuts squash, sweet potato. etc. Possibilites are endless.

I just give my baby samples off my plate. When she wants to sample she crawls over and sits CONT...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• or pulls up and begs. I then give her veggies I am eating or the fruit I'm enjoying. When she just wants to sample texture and tastes her begging is quite patient, When she REALLY likes something like pears she'll get very insistant. If I do't want a mess I just give her bits by finger or if I have a spoon or fork that I'm using. If I want to let her make a delightful mess that's when I get the high chair, get her naked, and let her have at a spoon or give her something to squeeze the life out of.

Before a year old solid food is more about experience than nutrition because they don't have the gut maturity to digest solid things very well(note even if pureed to hell).

Food sessions are fun for us. We don't make a production of it and she eats when she wants to. Sometimes she's not interested in solids and other days she steals my dinner and that's okay too.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• As for water, babies like to sample what you are doing. I drink a lot of water and if my 8 month old wants it she'll let me know. She's grabbed the glass too. The trick with a glass is to tilt it just enouhg so that they can lap it up or suck gently. She learned to use a straw at 7 months, but I still have to squeeze it a little to control the flow a bit because she gets over excited. I didn't "get" her to drink water. When she showed interest all on her own, I let her try it even if it made a mess.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2010