whats her deal there is ALWAYS something wrong with her?

im startin to think my brother's gf is a hypochondriac( sp?) if its not one thing its another. at first she did the whole im diabetic and i have seizure thing...but after testing drs found nothing. she will go without eating for long periods of time...then get sick as a result. when my brother wanted her to find a full time job to help with bills she all the sudden had black out spells and passed out in the yard in the middle of winter, but conveniently enough she took the kids to the sitters so they werent home. then she was freakin out cause she thought she had a stroke and heart attack, i told her it was probably just a panic attack and she got mad at me...well she went to the dr and it was a panic attack. and now all the sudden she needs surgery on her shoulder cause it hurts all the time, but it didnt seem to hurt her over the weekend when she was playin hard with the kids....CONT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• AHH, my future sister in law is like that......... when they first started going out my mom was talking about why she had to have a hysterectomy (sp) ... and then FSIL said well she was told she has to have one too, and also told that she can never have kids, that she has kidney problems, and so on ..everytime someone said they were sick or had some kind of disorder, she had to one up everyone ...

BUT now less than a year later.... she is talking about getting pregnant.... she doesnt have insurance and has said she hasnt been to the doctors in years ( but yet before she just " had to go all the time" ) ..... but then if someone says something about her not working ( because my brother has to work 3 jobs to support her shopping habits) ... she suddenly has a relaps of all of her sicknesses - at the same time.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 6:54 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• You know, you really shouldn't accuse someone with a medical condition of lying because it could be a real thing. I understand your frustration, but if she is pretending, then she is only hurting herself. Your brother makes his own decisions.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 5:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• op here
    and the best part was when she found out i was lactose intolerant she all the sudden was also. i was at my moms and they had ice cream and i said oh no ill be sicker than a dog, she had ice cream and then claimed to be sick from it. up until she found out i was lactose intolerant she would eat ice cream by the half gallons, and was braggin about how much milk she drank. its always something, i dont get why she thinks she is always sick or needs to be always sick grrr
    Anonymous

• I'm sure it is for the attention and pity. I have family members like this and we just learned to ignore it and quit playing into the games... eventually they give up for the most part. GL
    Anonymous

• She wants attention. That's all, nothing more. Don't feed the beast.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• sounds like she has an anxiety disorder
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It sounds more like an attention grabbing disorder than anxiety. We have a relative like this. It's nauseating to watch. But I don't know of anything you can do about it. Except keep your distance as much as possible.
    Anonymous

• op here

i know there is nothing i can do about it and i try to ignore it, when my mom brings up her lastest health problem i tell her i dont want to here it, but she also posts it all over her facebook. i dont want to hide her statuses cause thats one way i stay up to speed on my nieces and nephew. its just frustrating, i used to work at a hospital and seen first hand how ppl are when they really do have the problems she is claiming and its never a walk in the park, my the gf just so casually talks about her issues, so either she has a really really high pain tolerance or she is just fakin it.
    Anonymous

• My mom does this stuff too... the whole family knows shes faking, but nobody has the guts to tell her we know. Its so annoying, her "health problems" are constantly the topic of coversation.. UHG, I just hate it when somebody asks how shes doing. And when she has a "headache" she has to put both hands on her forehead and walk around like that so that everybody knows she has one... She's all about going to the doctor, and constantly telling me to take my kids to the doctor for EVERYTHING.
    Anonymous

• My mother-in-law is a hypochondriac. She goes to the doctor at least twice a week. After years and years of always having something wrong with her, the doctor talked to SO and told him, he was like I've known that for years. They have began giving placebos in place of regular meds because now the real problem she has is liver problems from taking so many medicines for illnesses she didn't have. Honestly I don't know what to tell you to do, It aggravates the life out of me because when her regular doctor wont do anything she will go to a new doctor and tell them all these things and they will run test after test trying to figure it out, and then here we go pulling the doctor to the side telling him what her real problem is. She also goes off the wall if you tell her she is a hypochondriac, so I wouldn't tell your SIL that she is. Maybe try to have her family talk to her doctor about it. Good Luck. I know it is hard to deal w/
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2010