When to switch to stage 3 foods or try table food?

My daughter is 8 months old and only has 2 teeth. She is currently eating stage 2 foods. We've tried giving her puffs for the longest time and she really likes them and looks like she is chewing them, but occasionally they get caught on the back of her tongue and she starts to choke. It makes me so nervous. This same thing happened with stage 3 food when I tried it. It had chunks of rice and veggies in it and she started to choke a little. When did you start your baby on stage 3 or start giving small amounts of table food?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started with mashed table food at six months. If we ate it, he ate it. But he had more teeth. I'd just leave things as they are for now.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I never gave either of my babies stage 3. I started them on stage 2 I didn't even do stage 1. Stage 1 to me is the same as stage 3 just a bigger jar so I would just by stage 2. My first baby now 5 wouldn't eat baby food really the only things she would eat was cereal in a bottle she wouldn't eat it on a spoon. She loved peaches stage 2, bananas stage 2 and squash stage 2 that was it so I ended up giving her other things at like 6 months that she could eat like adult apple sauce, adult yougerts, pudding things like that until she was 10 months old then I started just smashing things up that we ate for her. She was on all table food at 10 months to this day she wont eat pudding, applesauce things like that must remind her of baby food lol. My second baby now 2.5 she loved her baby food lol. So she was on baby food until 11 or 12 months old then I went to table food whatever we ate. CON
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I started baby food (stage 1 and 2, with no teeth) at 9 months. I attempted stage 3 at 10 months, but DD would only eat certain kinds. She started eating table food at 11 and 12 months, with 4 teeth. If your DD is choking a bit on stage 3, just stay on stage 2 for a while. Since she is choking a little on the cereal (normal, just keep an eye on her), make sure she has plenty to drink.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 6:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• the only reason I stayed that long with her is cause she would eat it. I gave her taste of things, but for her dinner she got babyfood. I didn't give her stage 3 either only stage 2's
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Skip the "stage 3" foods. They are confusing because they are part pureed and part chunks. Just start offering small soft finger foods. If it is pea sized and you can squish it between your fingers then you can put it on the tray. Just let baby explore and put them in their mouth. Some ides include, pieces of banana, string cheese, pasta, steamed veggies, sweet potato, chicken breast etc.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• There's really no need for stage 3 jars, except that they are sometimes more convenient if you are away from home and they are better than chicken nuggets and fries from restaurant kids' menus. We never bought stage 3, but just gave our DDs what we were eating if it was soft or easy enough to break into bits so they could pick it up and chew it themselves.
    Anonymous

• Skip stage 3. Toddlers choke on it because they don't learn the difference between the pureed part and chunks. Go straight to soft table foods.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• We went straight from stage 2 to table foods at 8 months - he only had two teeth at the time, we just made sure what we gave him was somewhat soft and cut in small pieces.

Answer by missanc at 7:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• my son gagged like that too at that age. that means they are not ready yet. i started him on stage 3 foods at 10 months, and then table foods at a year.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I never used baby food. You can start solids at 6 months. Fork mash food and allow the baby to feed itself. If the baby can't feed itself then the baby isn't ready for solids. I didn't spoonfeed my kids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010