My DD wants to nurse all day long!

My 13 month old has ben really crabby the last few days. If she isn't getting into trouble then she is hanging on me begging to nurse. It seems that is ALL she wants to do this week. It is making me insane! She cries and whines and says "nert! nert! nert!". She isn't sick either. Anyone go through this and was it just a phase?? Is she maybe bored?

SoniaL

Asked by SoniaL at 6:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe you should pump for a while and not let her nurse. Maybe she is just wanting to be close to you.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 6:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Time to wean
    Anonymous

• could she be teething?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• "could she be teething?"

It's possible, now that you mention it. I was just telling DH it looked like a new tooth was coming in a few days ago. It is raised up on her gums.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 6:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• #

Set limits. Tell her "not now. After Barney,' and stick with it. Give her something to distract her, and timeposts she can understand when nursing is allowed, in order to delay her. And tell her she will not be able to nurse until that timepost.

She will continue bugging you until she sees that you're serious about those timeposts. Tell her firmly you will not nurse until Barney is over, for example, but be prepared to sit and nurse the instant it IS over.

It's fine to set limits.

NO NEED TO WEAN.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:13 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OMG people it is NOT time to wean. She could very well be going through a growth spurt or she could be getting a tooth or two in. At this age they should still nurse on demand so trying distraction is probably not a good idea. You can teach manners though and that you will not drop everything the instant she asks for it. Mine were both still nursing well past 13 months old and would go through weeks like this occasionally.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Don't wean! I agree that at 13m she should be nursing on demand. My youngest(of four) is two and still nurses almost exclusively. We have days that it seems like that is ALL WE DO and it does drive me nuts sometimes.. Just sit down, let her have what she wants, and find a way to distract yourself. :) If you're enjoying yourself, you won't be thinking so much on what she's doing.. And she'll be happy because she's nursing!

Best of luck!
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I can't imagine weaning her now! The teething is a good possibility. Don't know why I didn't think of it. I suppose because she hasn't gotten teeth in months and months. She couldn't ask for it then like she can now so we are in a little different territory.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• oh for pete's sake. If mom doesnt want to wean and DD obviously doesent want to wean then IT'S NOT TIME TO WEAN!!!| Anyway, could it be teeth? Or could she be fighting something? Those 2 things alway make DS nurse a lot more often.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2010