WHO chief says swine flu is still a pandemic. Has WHO lost it's credibility? How about the other fear mongers who predicted deaths of 300,000 plus in the US alone?

GENEVA – The head of the World Health Organization says swine flu is still a pandemic even though the period of most intense activity appears to have passed.

WHO Director-General Margaret Chan says a decision on whether to declare the global epidemic of H1N1 over will be revisited in mid-July.

Chan's announcement Thursday came two days after a virtual meeting of international flu experts who advise her on setting the global body's pandemic alert level.

The alert level is currently at phase 6 — the highest — but could be moved to the "post-peak" or "post-pandemic" stage as circulation of the virus continues to decline.

WHO last week confirmed 18,114 deaths from swine flu worldwide since the start of the outbreak in April 2009.

At 18,114 deaths WORLDWIDE, that is about half of the deaths the US alone sees every year from the flu. Did WHO overreact? Did all those who predicted massive deaths overreact?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They do that with everything, swine flu, gas prices, mad cow and global warming. You name it they hype it up.

I have been hearing global warming or global cooling on and off for 81 years, yet I'm still here.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Anonymous

• I never bought into the mass hysteria
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• There is a saying, "Better to err on the side of caution."

I think I'd rather be ready for the worst and NOT have it happen, than the reverse.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:07 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Everyone overreacted.
    Anonymous

• The thing that scared WHO most about this flue is that it was killing strong, young, healthy people.

The seasonal flue, usually kills folks who are already quite old or weakened by other health conditions.
    Anonymous

• I never bought into the hysteria either. It didn't seem any worse than the regular seasonal flu
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 8:44 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Oh please, you didn't really fall for that did you?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Grandmarga was announcing massive deaths. Apparently they only happened in her hospital.

The flu hit our area before the vaccine was available. Turned out this year was one of the lightest flu years on record in our area. Deaths were way down, even without the vaccine.
    MunchMunch

Answer by MunchMunch at 8:59 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• As far as I'm concerned - WHO never had any credibility in the first place! They have always put money ahead of truth!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2010