How can I encourage my 22 month old to use a fork and spoon?

He isn't seeming to catch on to the concept. He can dip the spoon in his food, but won't/can't scoop and doesn't seem to have much interest in a fork at all! Tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dang, this should have been introduced a LONG time ago. Sine you can change that though, just keep giving him a fork and spoon (one or the other) every time he eats, he may not get it yet, but you have to give him the opportunity to do it, and soon enough he'll master it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Keep giving him the fork and spoon. Make sure you are using a fork and spoon too. Kids love to imitate.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 7:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i agree with the previous poster! he will get it eventually just keep giving it to him, when he see's how mommy is useing it he will slowly figure it out and when he do finally figure it out give him lots and lots of praise, and while he is tring to figure it out give him lots of encouragement! Good luck
    Anonymous

• Just let him keep practicing and seeing you use it.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Let him practice. Eventually he's catch on. Let him learn at his own pace...there's no hurry.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• MomNbaby - it WAS introdcued a long time ago but like I said, he doesn't seem to be getting the conept! That's why I asked. His motor skills are fine with everything else though which it why it seems weird.
    Anonymous

• Give him the fork and spoon, put a bite on and feed it to him a few times, then put a bite on and rest it on his plate for him to pick up. Some kids are just hands eaters. lol My oldest boy hated silverware. He's six and I still sometimes have to remind him.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i agree with nytefae consistantcy is key
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My daughter was great at using her fork and spoon when she was between 11 months and 18 months, now she would much rather use her hands. Unless hand feeding is a big issue for you I'd say don't really worry about it.. his time will come! For now just keep the washcloths nearby :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2010