Anything I can do to get labor started?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sex worked for me...but I was 41 weeks and 3 cm already. Your baby and body have to be ready in order for anything to have a chance at helping the process along. Also walking a LONG walk has helped a friend of mine get her first two labors going.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• sex

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• If you are due, Walk, walk, walk... and then walk some more!!! When you get really tired, walk a little further and then go home and take a long nap. :) Worked for me. Either that or my baby was just ready and it was a cool coincidence. :)
    teamplayer

Answer by teamplayer at 8:45 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Well, I'm not due. But i'm 36 weeks. 1 1/2 cm dialated and 50% effaced. I've been having lots of cramping and contractions for three days.. but just no real labor.
    Anonymous

• Not really. You just have to wait it out. Your baby will come when he/she is ready. It's best to let it happen naturally, even if it isn't so great on us.

Good luck! I hope nature takes it's course soon.
    Anonymous

• for my last baby i had irregular contractions 5-8 minutes apart for hours and hours. i took a nap, well i tried. after 45 minutes i got up, dh came home for lunch and there we were regular contractions 3 minutes apart. we had our daughter less than 2 hours later.
    so...a nap did it for me. that was my longest labor.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• What you're going through doesn't mean you *should* try to start your labor. Or that your body is ready for it.

There are several possible reasons for cramping~ usually normal stuff.
    But if you're cramping because it's Nature's Design to tell you to make a change then it really isn't time to force baby out (or try to).

What are you contraction timings like?
    What have you don't to try to get rid of them? (fetal position, hydration, other techniques)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• 36 weeks is to early to try to push yourself into labor. A 36 weeker could spend time in the NICU. Do you REALLY want a sick baby fighting for his life?

When your term you can try Scalini's Eggplant Parmesean which is guarenteed to work for women who've researched their due date.
    Anonymous

• I'm at 36 weeks too...as much as I want this baby out of me, I think it's an iffy time to have the baby; some at 36 weeks come out totally fine, others can't even breath on their own.

If your cramps lead to a natural labor, then so be it, you do the best with the situation, but it's not something I would actively encourage or try to help along at this point.

Anyway, some women (me too for what it's worth - it drives me crazy) just have lots of false labors in the last month. My mom was the same way. We just got to do our best to stay comfy until the baby comes.

Good luck
    Anonymous