snipping buttons before donating

I've just come home from my first shift volunteering at a local Op shop centre - bag after bag of clothes had no buttons - I couldn't believe it - The supervisor said they have to get rid of heaps of stuff as people snip off buttons from the clothes before they donate them and so the garment is useless. Why would you take the buttons? Poor people need their clothes to stay on too! Very weird - do you snip buttons? Something I'd never thought of before today

myheartx4

Asked by myheartx4 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well i snip the buttons off of clothes i'm going to throw out or use for rags..... it's just mean to take them off of clothes you expect someone to wear. why do they have to throw them out? can't they put them in a free pile or something? you could sew buttons back on lol you can get a whole big bag of buttons at the thrift store for $1
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• WOW!!! what a ridiculous thing to do.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i suppose it would make sense at one of our local donation stores. They sell "bags of rags" for $5 a bag- so those could still go in that. But otherwise ya weird!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:38 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• they have so many clothes like that their would be a store full of rags - there is actually a section in store called "I just need buttons" . I was just really surprised how many people must do it. It was a bit weird. What do they do with all those buttons?
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• That is odd. I would never do that and didn't know that people did that..........strange and greedy.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I never heard of doing that. I never do that. I figure whoever wears the clothes want them to close properly. I only donate stuff that is still usable. Snipping buttons is just weird.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Nice observation. I've never heard of that! I don't understand.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• When my great grandmother passed away we were going though all her things and cleaning out her house... She literally had 2 full dresser drawers full of buttons! Apparently she was a snipper! I thought it was weird, but they sold really well on ebay... I ended up making a few hundred dollars off of buttons...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:05 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• That is a really selfish and stupid thing to do. They must know that the clothes are worthless without buttons. How stupid!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• That isn't a nice thing to do when you donate such items.
    Do these same people take the zippers out of pants, too?
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2010