two vessel cord with growth restriction. help?

I was told at 23 weeks that my baby has a two vessel cord instead of a three. They've been monitoring me with monthly ultrasounds since.

I'm 34 weeks now, and was told today that she's on the small side. Still within normal range, but lower normal. She's measuring (by ultrasound) about 4 lbs. The doctor said that if in two weeks (at 36 weeks) her growth hasn't picked up, they'll deliver me.

I'm scared to death. I know 36 weeks isn't too bad, but since she'll have a low birth weight, what complications does that mean she might have? Does it affect her lung development? Or even mental development?

shy_marie

Asked by shy_marie at 8:41 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Most problems are more affected by prematurity than weight. One that comes to mind is blood sugar. A smaller baby will need to be monitored closely for low blood sugar and there will be a lot of attention paid to how she is eating.

Lung development: if the doc thinks there could be an issue, he can give you meds to help her lungs mature.
    Mental development: if she's active now, you feel her kicking, play music and talk to her now you are going to be helping her to develop now. Again, prematurity is more of an issue than birth weight.

I have seen docs recently releasing 4-41/2 pound babies right home, if there are no known "problems" and let them grow at home with mom. PM or friend me if you want to. ~~Karen
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 3, 2010