What are your thoughts on a preschool that...

doesn't have an outdoor area or take the kids to the playground? The director is very nice and mother hen like and I trust her. But I've heard kids need free play outdoors. I can always take my daughter myself after school to the park but... What is you thought?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well if the exercise then that is good. I think I heard that kids need at least an hour of play a day that they run hard or exercise. and as long as the teachers are good and they are learning you can always take the kid to the park after. My child goes all day and they have a playground and a fitness teacher that comes twice a week to exercise with the kids. She also learns a lot and I LOVE her teacher. She is moving up this summer and I think I will cry. : )
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I'd look for one w/ an outdoor play area.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I don't see an issue. Most of the year it's too cold (at least in my area) to go outside and play anyways. What is important in finding a preschool is finding a safe place where you can trust your kids with the adults and that the kids are actually going to learn things and not be ignored. Outside space or not, I want to know my kids are learning and safe - anything else is just fluff.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I've never seen one that doesn't have a playground outside.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 8:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yeah well I live in the city not the sticks!

OP
    Anonymous

• i9 havent heard of one with out a play ground. but if it is just preschool and not a day care/preschool program. then preschool is only for like 2 or 3 hours long. my DDs was only 2 hours in the morning. i fed her breakfast took her to preschool and she was done before lunch. so you shouldn't worry about the lack of playground. i would be looking more at the curriculum. is it going to get your little on ready for kindergarten?
    Anonymous

• Is this a pre school that is only a few hours a day, or a pre school that is part of a daycare, and your child will attend for a FULL DAY? The PT pre school programs don't normally have a recess time. If it was an all day deal, yeah I'd want my kid to have outdoor time too. Even here in Illinois the kids go out in cold weather months too. That's what coats, hats, boots, gloves, etc are for. :)

Anonymous

• I'd find another one. Kids need fresh air and sunshine. I live in WI and the kids go out until its 10 degrees. They can handle it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It will be 9 to3. But LIKE I SAID I can take her myself to the park after I pick her up.

op
    Anonymous

• Do they have an indoor area for physical play, like a gym or something they can use? Physical activity is very important for kids developmentaly. I wouldnt necessarily thing the location, indoors or outdoors would matter, but some sort of play is a must for me.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2010