have you used kitty nail caps on your cat?

How do you stop them from pulling them off?
Also, do they hurt the cats?
Is there a technique to putting them one?
Ty

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 8:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I used to work at a vet and a groomer and in both places we had people come in to have them put on. It is way easier and cheaper to just trim their nails. My cats are so used to it that I just lay them in their backs in my lap and clip away. I takes maybe 5 mins to do my cats and it is free. Also we had a few cats over the years that scratched anyway with the soft paws on the would puncture them-therefore defeating the purpose. They do work most of the time and do not harm the cats-but trimming is just as effective.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 9:21 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• A good friend used to get "Soft Paws" put on by their vet. They clean their nails, and use nail glue (like for acrylics). Bo (the cat) would always pull at least 1 off, I think as a screw you for doing it. lol They lasted as long as 2 months. And it is completely painless for the cat, although I don't like the feeling of fake nails, so I can not imagine they do either.
    It's a humane alternative to declawing.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• ok sorry, but what is that? I never heard of that
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• They are little covers that go over the cats nail, to prevent them from scratching. They are adhered with nail glue.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:02 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• nope,we use the pedipaws machine

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• oh ok I have a cat and I have always been around cats, but I have never heard of this
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• He immediately picked them right back off. What a waste!
    Anonymous

• nope both of my cats have been declawed!!! Thank God!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• We used to use them on one of our cats, until she was completely trained to NOT scratch the furniture. Your success may depend on your cat's willingness to tolerate them. Our cat was pretty good about it. They are kind of a hassle to put on, and if you have an intolerant cat, you may have some trouble with it. They are supposed to just fall off as the cats claws grow (it's supposed to break the adhesive), but once, one of them didn't fall off, and the thing grew into the cat's paw pad. We didn't realize it until we noticed her limping. From then on, we had to check her paws regularly to make sure that they were coming off when they were supposed to. I didn't mind doing the Softpaws for a while, since I don't agree with declawing, but my advice would be to continue to try to train the cat to stop scratching, as Softpaws will probably be to inconvenient to keep up with for longer than a few months. Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Ya its not them scratching the furniture its trying to get them to stop scratching the baby. They arent kitten kittens but theyre about 9 months. we tried the caps on 1 cat and he got 1/2 of them off. i need to get a smaller size for my girl.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2010