Is anyone an expert on cord blood donations?

I live in central MN and cannot find a place to donate cord blood. Can anyone help this? I can't afford to store it on my own, but if it helps someone I would love to donate it.

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• how about delayed cord clamping and give it to THE BABY IT BELONGS TO!! The one growing in you now!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Cord blood is saved for the baby or family. I live in Tucson and there is a cord blood bank here and there was just a big news story and tour of the facility on tv. They choose Tucson for the cord blood bank that gets donations from all over because Tucson doesn't have natural disasters. It costs a lot to bank and store the cord blood.

You can donate your baby's cord blood. Here is a web site with info:

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Cord_Blood_Share_Life/How_to_Donate_Cord_Blood/CB_Participating_Hospitals/nmdp_cord_blood_hospitals.pl

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• wow, that's a little rude. she's wants to potentially save someones life and you're giving her crap for it?. i know how you feel sunshine, i'm having the same dilema. i want to donate my daughters cord blood but that option isn't offered in ct
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yep MelRN. That is kind of rude, but also an option I haven't heard about. Do you have more information about that? My family believes in being donors, I figure if I can't afford to bank it for us I can donate it for someone in need and hope that if we are ever in need it will come around. I also understand Cord Blood is more effective with a family match, but like I said...I can't afford it.

Thank you gaill...I will check into that too.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Gaill...I can't find Tucson in there....I may be slow today or something, but you remember the name of the bank?
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I didnt mean to be rude I just think these darn health care providers should better inform their patients -- we are robbing our children to save others?? Why --yes I"ll get you a link
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Thanks MelRN. I would appreciate it. I just don't want, what we know now as, important life saving blood to go into a Haz bag in the hospital. I want it to at least be of use.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I was actually able to donate Isaacs placenta too. :) You have to be already a planned c/s to be a candidate for placenta donation so they can have a special transporter in place. I placenta can help save the vision of DOZENS of other people. Its a pretty cool thing to come out of a c/s you may not have been so hot on having it the first place. =P

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-09-15/story/st_vincents_hospital_needs_placenta_donors
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2010