What do I look for when purchasing a laptop for a 14 year old?

Please help. Summer school is about to begin and I want to obtain a laptop for my granddaughter. My daughter has sent me to Walmart online for a "blue" laptop computer--price $280. What features should I be concerned with [besides the color :o) ] and can I get a better deal (with warranty) elsewhere? Thank you, in advance, for your help.

DOIOU2

Asked by DOIOU2 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in

• It depends on what she is using it for. Games, online, writing, photo/music/video storage, etc. It depends greatly on what it is being used for as to what you need. If it's for games or storage for photos/music/video then you're going to want a large hard drive, large memory, and a good memory card. If it is just for online and basic writing formats, then you can get away with the bare minimums. I take it that being a 14 year old girl she'll have lots of photos and music .. So you'll want to get good graphics, and large hard drive, and large memory ..

PM me with specifics and I can ask my husband what specifically you'll want. He's a computer geek/gamer.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I would go to Best Buy or somewhere that offers a better warranty than Walmart and can fix the computers that they sell. Talk to a computer sales person about what is needed, not someone at Walmart. The laptop that I got my almost 14 year old son was $475 at Best Buy. He plays a lot of games and uses it for homework. Also, make sure you are NOT getting a netbook...they are pretty useless.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2010