So, if your team wins by 5, you lose?? How is this even possible?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06/01/win-a-soccer-game-by-more-than-five-points-and-you-lose-ottawa-league-says/?preview=true&preview_id=7652&preview_nonce=e6fa056a34

Evidently to protect the self-esteem of the little kids playing soccer, if the winning team wins by more than 5 points, they then LOSE by default. This is the new rule of the Ottawa children's soccer league. According to the league’s new rules, coaches of stronger teams are encouraged to deter runaway games by rotating players out of their usual positions, ensuring players pass the ball around, asking players to kick with the weaker foot, taking players off the field and encouraging players to score from farther away. Others feel that this will coddle sore losers, and do little to prepare them for the real world. I think this is the most ludicrous thing I have heard for a while. What do cafemom moms think?

29again

Asked by 29again at 10:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If your kid can't handle losing, don't put him in competitive sports.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Ridiculous. Kids need to learn to lose gracefully.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:17 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Sadly that's the way a lot of liberals and progressives think, no winners or losers, everything should be equal.

That's why they think you should spread the wealth, take from those who have worked hard and earned it, and give ti those who have not.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• omg. Really??!! REALLY??!! Thats so freakin insane. THIS is what is wrong with our kids! You lose...it happens. You WILL survive....even if you are only 5 or 6 yrs old!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• The closest that I have ever come to this is when my son first started softball. The league that he was in (ages 5 - 7) did not keep score, and for the first 4 or 5 games of the season each boy got to stay at bat until he hit the ball. They did this because these boys were still learning the fundamentals of the game, so they didn't go straight into the 3 strikes you're out until they actually had a chance to play! Oh, and the boys sell ice cream social tickets, and every boy who sells more than 50 tickets gets a prize. (Selling the tickets is optional, they don't have to if they don't want to. But if they don't they have no chance at all for a prize...)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree with encouraging the coaches to rotate players into other positions, making sure every kid gets to play and even encouraging them to kick with their "weak" foot, but I don't agree with losing if you win by more than 5. There are times where even if you're not trying to win, you just can't lose. I know my son's football team will throw every play (at his age the passing game is not great) when they get up by 2 or 3 touchdown's but of course that's when the kids seem to click and everything works. I do really disagree with running up the score, but I do feel it should be on the coaches to keep that from happening. So penalize the coaches, not the kids if they're running up the score.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• That doesn't happen here. Kids play, they lose,they win and they find out how to play better next time at their practices. Nobody tries to spare the kids feelings. If they lose, they say "You played a good game and you lost , but we can learn from it and play better next time". I mean...kids need to deal with reality and know that it is impossible to win every time. One example is the time my grandson's team lost ---the score was something like 12 to 2--- but they had such a good time playing soccer, they didn't get all bent out of shape. My son played soccer inGermany on the Air Force DOD school, starting in 3rd grade and he loved it and they actually LOST. LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• 10:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 by: Natesmom507
    Sadly that's the way a lot of liberals and progressives think, no winners or losers, everything should be equal.

That's why they think you should spread the wealth, take from those who have worked hard and earned it, and give ti those who have not
    ***********************
    We are talking about kids playing sports, not Liberals ,okay? I just posted about my son and grandson playing soccer and losing and being just happy to play soccer.....and I am a Liberal! Just think aboiut it. A liberal who thinks kids need to deal with the reality of losing and that there is "no free lunch",as they say. Can't you just stop trying to attack people who don't think like you do for a minute????? Good grief.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Sadly that's the way a lot of liberals and progressives think, no winners or losers, everything should be equal.

Gertie, she didn't say ALL,  and she also posted a whole HOUR before you did! 

Anonymous

• I have no problem with kids losing, I do have a problem with coaches at any level running up the score. It teaches nothing except poor sportsmanship. I don't think every kid should win or get a trophy, my middle son lost both his football games on Tue, and he knows it. But he played well and had lots of fun. There is nothing fun about being pounded into the dirt by a team that keeps their starters in in a game that is a blowout. It's not fun for the players or the spectators. I've been on both sides of the win/loss in this situation, and it really teaches the kids nothing.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 4, 2010