Has this happened to anyone else's infant?

My 10 month old suddenly had a fever of 100.5 yesterday. He wasn't showing any symptoms of being sick at all and wasn't fussy. I just thought he felt a little warm, and sure enough he had a fever. I gave him some motrin so he could sleep last night and when he woke up this morning, his fever had gone up to 101.3. Still not really showing any signs of not feeling well except he was sleeping a little more and wanted to be held a little more than usual. He still has a fever tonight and is getting a little more fussy. What could this be? He was sick once before when he was 6 months old but it started out with a runny nose and cough and then turned into a fever. I've never heard of a fever coming before anything else? He also has a bit of a diaper rash, which he's never had ever before. Could that be something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if it gets any higher you may want to set him up a Doc appt. he may have an ear infection... My youngest had one and showed no signs other then a fever. both of his ears were infected.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 10:30 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• maybe he is teething!
    Anonymous

• could be starting to get an ear infection.
    at first i thought maybe teething, but that seems a little high for that.
    definitely take him into the doctor since it went up.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 10:29 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• he could be teething. some peds doctors say they can not get a temp, my daughter does, anything over 102. my peds doctor said could be something else.
    Anonymous

• it could be teething my now 2.5 year old was the worst when it came to teething she always got diarreha from it, runny nose, diaper rash, cranky wanted held, she even got fevers from it. So it might be teething especially if he is getting his one year molars those are the worst
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I'm thinking teeth, because of the diaper rash. He may just be fighting off a bug or some sort and the fever is there to ward it off. Might be a small stomach bug. Also ear infections are a great culprit of low grade fevers. 101.3 without meds is not high. You do not have to take him in unless it's at least 101.3 with meds in system already. Fevers are there to fight whatever illness he might have. An active baby with a temp of 101.3 without meds is not something you need to taken him in for, just make sure he has very light clothes on, and give him a lot of fluids.

(I know this from rushing my child to the doctor for dozens of low fevers and even more ear infections!)
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• teething!!...my daughter was getting all 4 of her top teeth at the same time and had a fever for few days it got up to 103.5...so it can still get high even from teething prolly depends on the baby....
    cutensweetny

Answer by cutensweetny at 11:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yeah I agree, teething. when i worked at a daycare I learned that babies can get sick when theyre teething... and diaper rash is also something that can happen during teething. not to say you shouldn't try and cool him down of course.
    i would google symptoms of teething and i would be you find that is what it is but you can always call his pcp, i'm sure they would be happy to talk to you about it.
    hope hes feeling better soon!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:57 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• If his temp isn't down on day 3 - take him in to see the ped. Could be an ear infection, roseola, or several other childhood illnesses. But generally teething or mild virus will pass in 3 days. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Could be roseola. Fever and no other symptoms for 3 days, rash on 4th day, back to normal on 5th. Good luck!
    alexxxxx

Answer by alexxxxx at 2:39 AM on Jun. 4, 2010