HELP! I'm looking for food suggestions for a very picky eater!

My daughter is 2, but has had some feeding issues. She eats like a 1yr old, but is
picky like a normal toddler. I'm running out of ideas. She will eat shredded cheese,
crackers, avacado, some cereals, and occasionally, try a chicken nugget and rice.

Has anybody else got this problem? I need nutritious and calorie rich foods. She supplements with Pediasure, but I need some new ideas. Please help!

erinetsuko

Asked by erinetsuko at 10:42 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• "picky like a normal toddler" ??? Sorry, my kids were never picky as toddlers. Don't give in to her. Make your meals, feed her what you make. Picky eaters are made, because parents give in to their supposed dislikes. She's wearing the pants in your household, currently, if she's being allowed to be THAT picky.
    Anonymous

• I have a few thoughts. First, if she likes something make sure you are giving her the most healthy option of that food. So wheat crackers for example, as opposed to saltines, or homemade chicken nuggets, brown rice, etc. And offer the healthiest things first, don't give a whole plate of food, just give her the avocado first, then the crackers, then cheese and so on. Also, my DD is 19 months but she likes eating with her spoon so I give her pureed vegetables a lot. She enjoys eating them because she gets to use her spoon and it gets the veggies in her tummy- if they were just cubed, steamed carrots she would refuse to eat them. She also loves shredded rotisserie chicken- I just pull the skin off and cut it up. And any fresh fruit or yogurt is really popular. Good luck!!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• What about pasta with a little bit of sauce on it? Does she like toast? Scrambled eggs?

My son will eat just about anything most of the time, but he goes through a periods of time where he hardly eats much at all. Seems to be the toddler credo.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• pediasure could be a problem. my daughter had it for a while and became accustomed to having that instead of real food. it was a battle to get her to eat good food because she knew she could fall back to a liquid diet if she refused what i made. she eats really wellsince we got rid of the stuff.
    i'm not sure what you mean by normal picky toddler, mine are 22 months and 5 and they are not at all picky. there are very few things they will not eat.
    i have a rule for all meals and snacks with my kids. i choose what to make, they choose how much to eat and when. my kids choose not to eat sometimes, and they are no worse for the wear.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:17 AM on Jun. 4, 2010