Furniture store made a mistake on ds bed....what would you do?

Sat., ds new bed arrived. The guys put it together & left. Dh brought home the new mattress & box spring later. We put it on the bed...and..what? The bed was too long! It's a twin bed, apparently they put on longer side rails from a full or something. We didn't notice when the deliverymen were there because the mattress wasn't there yet. So dh called the store, they said they'd call the driver& call him back. Hours later, no call back, so I called because I knew they'd be closing. I was told "isn't it still useable?"...um, yeah, it is useable...but there's a huge gap between the end of the mattress and the footboard and I don't want ds getting his head stuck or something. And it looks stupid. So she said they couldn't help til Tuesday. Dh called on Tues...they want us to take apart the bed, drive half an hour there to swap the side rails, and go home and put it together ourselves!
Would you make them come fix their mistake?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hell yea! pitch a shit fit, talk to a manager & make them come do it! Unfortuantely this seems to be the way most buisness are run nowdays!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes, if this is a large chain store threaten to call corporate ... if not then tell them that you are very disappointed and you will never reccomend them again if they don't fix THEIR mistake.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes I would make them come fix their mistake. They are the ones that screwed up, not you. I agree with Nyx and would demand to speak to the manager and if the manager says the same thing, ask to talk to the owner.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• OP here...and the guy who told dh he'd have to come to the store to swap the parts is THE OWNER.
    And every Saturday they are out in our delivery area anyway, so why the hell can't they bring it? We have tiny cars, I don't even think bed rails will fit. Dh told them that and they said Oh they'll fit in your car. The one girl he spoke with even told him they don't sell that brand of furniture.

I'm super disappointed from all this. We worked hard to get the $ to get ds a NICE bed...a good quality bed that someday his grandkids could be using, from a reputable furniture store. I know we got the last one of that bed, too...so I'm worried they're gonna try to stick me with rails that don't match and aren't the same brand as the rest of the bed. Maybe I should demand my $ back....
    Anonymous

• A twin and a full are the same length. I'd bet that any swapped peices are going to be the same length. Bed frames aren't always snug around mattresses. Some mattress places skimp out and the mattresses aren't as big as they should be - are you sure you got a good mattress that's the proper measurements? IMO that's more likely.
    Anonymous

• OP again....it's a locally owned store that's been around over 50 years. There are 2 locations.
    Anonymous

Well, maybe they gave rails from a queen then? My first thought was what if they gave us an extra long twin. But we checked all our paperwork and called them and we definitely bought a twin, so whatever they gave is wrong.
    There should NOT be a 5 or 6 inch gap, that I know. The mattress is definitely standard size, dh and I measured everything before our first call.
    Anonymous

• calm down and tell them the deal if they still refuse get your money back . good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• First I would talk to the manager and if they didn't resolve this issue I would return the bed.

If you don't want to return the bed, but do want to pressure them into fixing it, I would tell them that you plan on putting a LARGE ad sized complaint in your local newspaper. THAT should do it. They won't want bad publicity, especially something as unsafe as this. I would make them understand that if your child's head gets stuck or some how he dies because of this faulty bed that THEY would be held accountable because you tried to fix it and they refused. You did not get what you purchased and that is wrong, they need to step up and fix the issue.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:49 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• A queen isn't any longer, either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2010