I get a stomach ache from popcorn?

Every time I eat popcorn, I get a stomach ache. I start burping a lot and sometimes feel like I'm going to through up. My stomach feel bloated too. Has this happened to anyone else? What could cause that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Fiber. Popcorn is mostly fiber and too much of it will bloat your belly and cause pains. Especially if you don't consume fiber on a regular basis or if you eat too much at one time. Ease some fiber into your diet slowly and you should be OK. Maybe take some Gas-X to help with the pain and bloating until your body gets used to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• What kind is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I used to get the same thing if I ate a lot of popcorn and didn't chew it well. I found if I didn't drink a lot when I ate the popcorn, chewed it well, and ate only air popped corn (no microwave or movie popcorn) then I was okay. I think a lot of it had to do with the junk that's on microwave or movie popcorn or maybe the fact that popcorn wasn't chewed well left those sharp hulls intact.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• You may have diverticulitis. Does this also happen when you eat nuts or tomatoes? You may have small pockets in your intestines where seeds, nuts & kernels get caught causing pain, swelling and bloating. They may even become infected. Google it.

Anonymous

• Probably just the fiber. Yes popcorn tends to do that.

Diverticulitis could be a possibility but most likely gas.
    Anonymous