Isn't this selfish?

My moms house is packed with junk. And she intends to leave it that way and let me and my sister deal with when she dies. I personally will just throw it all away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, but maybe it's too much for her to handle. Is she old? I fear the days my dad and my MIL die. They have a ton of stuff in their houses too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:35 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• YOU HAVE TO THINK OF IT THIS WAY ...WHEN SHE WAS GROWING UP SHE PROBABLY DIDN'T HAVE MUCH SO SHE HOLDS ON TO EVERYTHING !
    Anonymous

• Maybe.

But pack-rats aren't always just lazy or selfish; my mom honestly has mental illness issues with attachment to "stuff." - she gets panic attacks if someone tries to get her out to throw out or donate stuff "that might be useful someday."
    Anonymous

• oh boy you will have fun!
    Anonymous

• It's not selfish if she doesnt see her possessions as "junk". If those things are dear to her, isnt that her way of giving you a gift?
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 11:50 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My mom has been pres of several dozen organizations in her adult life.She has several tall file cabinets of the paperwork in her study ,out lines etc.She drives us crazy to come over and go over all of it.We refuse our secret plan is to take her acceptance speeches ,copy put in a gmom scrapbook and burn the rest in the fireplace.When she moved from the house we grew up in 5000 to 3000 sq. ft she didn't pack even the stuff she planned to pack her self.Her house was organized except this massive storage closet with 35 years of her good clothes.As the packers are packing and the movers are moving we have her saying yes or no hesitation meant Goodwill.TEN years later she still complains about this timeless blouse or that suit plus we got rid of 2 of her favorite down pillows.If she had sat down with us any of the half dozen times we offered it wouldn't have been rushed.Thumbs up to the throw away

Anonymous

• You might find some useful stuff!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 4, 2010