Baby Sign Language

I want to start working with my dd on sign language to help with communication. She is almost five months. Suggestions? Did you try this? If so, what did you do and where did you get your resources?

Aubreys_Mom_10

Asked by Aubreys_Mom_10 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do it..I did it with daycare babies.

I found stuff by googling online.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:55 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i took 2 years of american sign language but forgot a lot because i didnt keep up with it. google some baby sign sites and they can help you out. there is also a baby einsteing called "my first signs" its cute and definitely teaches them sign...

start signing right away, try saying the word aloud as you sign it. they pick up on it quick. you can eve have "home signs" where you kinda make your own sign up. like for me the sign for milk i said was the sign for Boobie.. so when she wanted to nurse she did this sign. :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I recommend doing this. a sign teacher i had used sign with her children and they all signed before they spoke. it can help babies not be so frustrated because they will be able to communicate with you sooner. it is great and its a great skill. just like teaching them another language, because it IS.

I know a few signs and will be taking more classes this fall.
    you can buy books at barnes and noble specifically for baby sign but you can also find free resources online.
    good luck!!!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:53 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I found that there are a few signs that you need to know and then if you don't have someone that can help you to learn the signs then you don't have to worry about it. Use the signs for eat, sit, potty, swing, and play. OH and deffently Stop!! The funny thing is that I had a few words and I did them for the kids and then I noticed that my dh picked them up and used them also. Now at 10, 8, 5, and 3 we can look at them through a window and tell them to "stop now!" or "go play" and they know what we mean. I would do ALS though because if you make up your own signs then that is what they will always remember and it will be hard to break a habbit! Then also no one else that knows ALS will be able to talk t
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 8:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I did it with all 4 of my kids, starting around 5-6 months. It took a couple months of repetition before they started to "understand" and a couple months after that before they started signing back. I learned it from my oldest son's preschool teacher (he has autism and they use sign language in the classroom since many of the kids are nonverbal). We used about 25 common signs (more, finished, play, bath, eat, please and thank you, etc.). I think it definitely helps before they are able to talk!

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• I did it. I didnt start seeing him sign until around 13 months. We didnt sign everything. We just taugt him a few key words that we knew were going to make life easier.
    Milk, Food, More, All done, Help, Please, Thank you.
    Worked out great for us. No crying and screaming because he wanted something and we couldnt tell. He felt "heard" and we werent as fried at the end of the day from constant guessing games.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2010