Help!!! major sleep issue!! How do i get her to sleep in her room?

ok so let me start of everything i've tried, well ever since she was born she's always slept with us so when she turned two i got a little crib and that worked fine for awhile then she learned how to get out so i got her a toddler bed and ugh she would wake in the night and get back in bed with me countionusly, so i got a reagular full size crib and she can now get out of that too! and when she gets out (i have her bedroom door closed) she turns on the light and i guess plays i don't know, tried soothing music, putting on her favorite movie and nothing!!! i'm about to have my new baby in about 5 wks and she is now 2.5 still wanting to sleep with momma i need sanity and sleep!!! please help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OKay!! Try and let her know that she is a big girl and she gets to be in her big girl bed!! Let her know you will always get her in the morning!! She may cry but it will be hard for you than for her..she won't remembere this and you will get sleep...this isn't an over night fix.it may take a week....Good luck
    Anonymous

• Let her sleep with you. Everyone will get the sleep they need.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:57 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• She's old enough to be spoken to reasonably, and treated like a little person, not just a baby.

When she gets up, put her back in bed. Tell her that she is safe, and this is where she needs to sleep, hug her good night, turn out the light (try unscrewing the bulb so she can not turn it on) and leave.
    I don't like to sleep by myself, and we have always been a bed sharing family, but I understand the need. Be consistent, and it will pay off.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:58 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• well, now you know not to co sleep with your second kid lol....as for your predicument now, let her cry it out for a bit. when she wakes up in the middle of the night, keep bringing her back to her room, DO NOT GIVE IN! she'll eventually figure it out. Let daddy help you since you're so far along, and don't let him give in either. my DS went through a phase where he kept getting up, and like you, it was when i was about 2 weeks before i was due. he was 16 months, it lasted only a week, Lord knows why he even went through it. he eventually got it and went back to sleeping through the night in his own big boy bed. GL
    Anonymous

• try a crib mattress on the floor beside your bed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• i too believe in the cry it out. just be firm. kids only go as far as the parents let them. if they know persistence pays off in getting what they want, then theres ur tough cookie! let this be a lesson learned. i never co-slept with my kids cuz i am one who needs my sleep w/o worrying about a child in bed with me. and i didnt want to deal with what u are going thru now. i am sure everything will work out fine with u, just be consistent in whatever u decide! GL!
    NathansMommy218

Answer by NathansMommy218 at 5:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• First, no more TV before bed. Watching the pixels of a TV screen activates a part of the brain that makes it hard to rest, especially for little ones. Your toddler shouldn't watch TV at all the 1.5 hours before bedtime.

Second, it's time to fix the bed situation. I know some moms move their toddlers to a toddler bed in this situation. But, I've been in your shoes. I had a 20 month old climbing out of his crib just 4 weeks before my 3rd baby arrived. If you put her in a toddler bed she'll just roam her room all night. You need to get a crib tent to keep her in her bed.

Third, you need to get her to fall asleep on her own. I highly recommend Ferber for this. Get Dr. Richard Ferber's book and consistantly stick to his sleep training method. You will have your problem solved in about 5 nights.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Here is a link to buy Dr. Ferber's Book "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" on Amazon.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:05 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• My neighbor put a sleeping bag on the floor next to her bed if her child wanted to come into the room that is where she slept. They claimed great success with that. My kids have never had issues with wanting to sleep with us. They were in their own rooms from 6 weeks on. Am I a great parent-no-just lucky that this issue was not my issue. I had plenty of others-we all do!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• They make cribs for a reason. To put BABIES in them. Not toddlers. Your child should have been sleeping in a crib since she was born. That way, you wouldn't have to kick her out cause a new baby is coming. TSK TSK. When will you people learn? I've never co-slept and my son sleeps 12 hours each night. Never wakes up and goes down without a fuss. That's because I gave him the sleeping skills early on in life. He can self-soothe and put himself to sleep.
    Anonymous